Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Slaveaway
UG's slave

Total Post Count next to avatar?

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a total post count by/near our names in the forums?

There might be some drawbacks to this (intimidation?) but there are some benefits.

It is a quick way to see who is a regular poster. New posters will generally receive good advice from users with many posts.

As a member of another large forum I like this feature as I frequently post/discuss strategy and there is a strong correlation between good advice and number of posts. (I can name forum if desired)

I like the idea that if an experienced member has something to say it usually has some merit.

I'm sure there would be an element of pride/competition added if we all saw instantly how many posts we had made!

Thanks guys,

Pete
Slaveaway

Edit: Sorry Frenchy, just saw the "do not suggest this" thread - hoping this doesn't count as a "reputation" thing. I think there is a difference

**Find Me An Asylum**

Last edited by Slaveaway : 10-01-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Slaveaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
Hydra150
not so cowardly

We do have post counts - click on a person's username to see their profile, where it'll give their post count.
I'm not bothered about whether this is also displayed next to the avatar, I suppose it could give some users something to be proud of, but we have to remember that the number of posts doesn't always correlate with the quality of posts - giving the post count prominence could give talkative idiots a sense of authority. It wasn't too long ago that every other post in The Pit was mocking someone's join date, this could be another distraction to worthwhile discussion.

It's also worth noting that the current post counter doesn't include posts in the off-topic forum. I wouldn't be opposed to changing that, or having another number in brackets next to it including The Pit, but I understand why it's the way it is.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Slaveaway
UG's slave

Ahh I see, you make very good points

I just thought I'd share my opinion

**Find Me An Asylum**

Slaveaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Colohue
UG Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
It's also worth noting that the current post counter doesn't include posts in the off-topic forum. I wouldn't be opposed to changing that, or having another number in brackets next to it including The Pit, but I understand why it's the way it is.

Which is why I consider post count on this site to be far superior to other websites. I have no idea how I'm on 2,000 posts, but I find people on here with high post counts are actually knowledgable in their fields or expertise simply because their post count isn't massively inflated by bullshit.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaveaway
(...)As a member of another large forum I like this feature as I frequently post/discuss strategy and there is a strong correlation between good advice and number of posts. (I can name forum if desired)
(...)

2+2? Obviously
I agree generally but there are lots of exceptions as there are so many offtopic forums. Pretty cool that pit doesn't count here.

I could see this being a relevant feature. I already look at reg date of someone's post/thread before deciding to make a reply.
There are tons of people who register, make a thread/request and never come back or contribute themselves. I'm hesitant helping someone out if they're likely to hit&run (like, tab a solo for someone who aren't even close to being able to play it and who won't come back). Bad advice in the subforums here will generally be called out by the regs though I wouldn't mind a post count as an indicator of credibility.

Last edited by fanapathy : 10-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
I suppose it could give some users something to be proud of, but we have to remember that the number of posts doesn't always correlate with the quality of posts - giving the post count prominence could give talkative idiots a sense of authority.

This is the only real benefit I see with having post number highlighted so prominently.

The information is already available to people who think it matters, so I don't think this is a change that would add anything.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colohue
Which is why I consider post count on this site to be far superior to other websites. I have no idea how I'm on 2,000 posts, but I find people on here with high post counts are actually knowledgable in their fields or expertise simply because their post count isn't massively inflated by bullshit.

While that's the merit of our system, it should be noted that there are plenty people who are regulars in our other forums who mainly post in their respective off-topic threads. It's not a foolproof way to judge people, but really the only way one should judge a user is by the content/quality of their posts (I also think the 'Who To Listen To' lists in some subforums are lame).
Quote:
Old 10-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Colohue
UG Writer

Fair play, but I don't get the point of off topic threads when there's a complete off topic forum.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Colohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Hydra150
not so cowardly

It's the warm glow of elitism.
Quote:
Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Speaking of post numbers, Hydra, how come my post count goes down? It seems to just hoover at the same number....I know I've posted a lot more than the actual count says. It doesn't really bother me, I was just wondering...
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Pit posts aren't included in that total. Or rather, they seem to add to it and are then removed after a short time, hence why it seems to go down.

you've made 258 posts outside of the pit according to a search I just ran, which suggests that pit posts aren't the only ones subtracted from the total seeing as there's a slight discrepancy
Quote:

Last edited by Hydra150 : 10-05-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Ahh, okay. Thanks Hydra.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: