Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
masonb09

Mesa Boogie Problem

Hey guys, I just bought my first tube amp. I picked up a Mesa Boogie Rectorverb series 2 and love it, but I am having a slight problem. I am having trouble getting gain/distortion from it. I am playing an ESP LTD EC-1000 with an EMG 81/60 configuration and can't get any distortion. Most people I've talked to said I should get plenty of distortion with the gain set at 12:00, but it is more like a soft crunch. To get a good distortion sound, I have to crank the gain almost all the way to max.
Here are my settings

Gain - ~3:30
Treble - 2:00
Mid - 11:00
Bass - 12:30
Pres - 11:00
Master - 12:00

I have been playing at lower volumes, but when I do turn it up, there is some distortion, but not a lot at my settings. I think I might have to replace the preamp tubes. I am not quite sure how old this amp is and if the previous owner/owners ever replaced them. All the preamp tubes are the stock Mesa 12AX7A's if that helps anything. Should I get new preamp tubes? Thanks!
masonb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I have the gain nearly maxed on my mark V. It's normal for that amp. Not sure on yours.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
masonb09

From what people have told me, I should not have to max out my gain. It is a single rectifier.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

you're on the lead channel right?
sounds like it might be tubes.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
JAHellraiser

I'd start with the tubes. If it's not that you might just have to crank it more, and get a pedal for when you can't crank it.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Which Channel are you using?

I would say it wouldn't hurt to do a full retube if you bought it used. I would put new preamp tubes AND new Power Tubes in it.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Which Channel are you using?

I would say it wouldn't hurt to do a full retube if you bought it used. I would put new preamp tubes AND new Power Tubes in it.

Its worth mentioning Mesa Boogies are fixed non-adjustable bias. Plug and play for the power tubes.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
masonb09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
you're on the lead channel right?
sounds like it might be tubes.

Ya, I am on the lead/dirty channel with the modern setting on. I will try cranking it up tonight and see if that's the problem. If not, what are some good high gain preamp tubes?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonb09
Ya, I am on the lead/dirty channel with the modern setting on. I will try cranking it up tonight and see if that's the problem. If not, what are some good high gain preamp tubes?

JJs are great for the money. Tungsols are a bit thin, however can brighten a dark amp.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
masonb09

Thanks! I don't think my preamp tubes have ever been changed. I emailed Mesa Boogie and my amp is 10 years old so I think changing them could help tremendously.

Rate This Thread: