Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
MadsH

Looking for a new amp to go with my Squier CV 60s

Hello

I've been playing for a year now, having used a Roland 20XL Cube amp with my Squier CV 60s. Thing is, I can get some decent clean tones, but as soon as I slap on some overdrive or distortion it sounds horrible.

I get a very muddy, noisy, flat and thin sound, even though I've tried different DT/OT settings on my multi-effect pedal (Zoom G3).

I'll have a budget of around 600 USD and I want something that sounds good even at low volumes/with headset, since I'm going to live in a dorm soon, and can't play loud.

Much appreciated, thanks
MadsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Jyrgen
Used Register

Don't use the Zoom into the Micro Cube, chances are you'll get better tones from the Cube alone. Generally speaking digital stuff into digital stuff usually sounds like garbage.

What kind of overdrive/distortion tones are you looking for exactly? The Squier has single coil pickups which are not capable of typical metal and hard rock tones and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
MadsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
Don't use the Zoom into the Micro Cube, chances are you'll get better tones from the Cube alone. Generally speaking digital stuff into digital stuff usually sounds like garbage.

What kind of overdrive/distortion tones are you looking for exactly? The Squier has single coil pickups which are not capable of typical metal and hard rock tones and the like.

Yes i know, but I only use it for reverb/delay/boost now, the G3 does that very well. I'd like some overdrive to sound something like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMu...&feature=g-list

And satriani stuff (I know the squier isn't quite right for this, but still)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsH
Yes i know, but I only use it for reverb/delay/boost now, the G3 does that very well. I'd like some overdrive to sound something like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMu...&feature=g-list

And satriani stuff (I know the squier isn't quite right for this, but still)

Reverb and delay before distortion is not usually considered a good idea, might be the cause of the 'mud' you mention. I also doubt that any kind of boost from the Zoom will actually improve the Cube's tone . The Micro Cube does not react to boosting like a real tube amp would. It's a low end battery powered solid state modeller with a tiny speaker. So yeah I do recommend using these two pieces of equipment separately. But experiment away.

For a quick remedy, you could also play around with the tone knobs on your guitar. Turning them down will make the sound less "harsh" and more "smooth". But in the end, you're going to need at least one humbucker pickup to get into the Wylde/Satriani ballpark.

Quote:
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
MadsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
Reverb and delay before distortion is not usually considered a good idea, might be the cause of the 'mud' you mention. I also doubt that any kind of boost from the Zoom will actually improve the Cube's tone . The Micro Cube does not react to boosting like a real tube amp would. It's a low end battery powered solid state modeller with a tiny speaker. So yeah I do recommend using these two pieces of equipment separately. But experiment away.

For a quick remedy, you could also play around with the tone knobs on your guitar. Turning them down will make the sound less "harsh" and more "smooth". But in the end, you're going to need at least one humbucker pickup to get into the Wylde/Satriani ballpark.

when i play with distortion I dont play with reverb or delay, but i use some of the modelling amps on the G3 because the cube sounds terrible with dist or od
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsH
when i play with distortion I dont play with reverb or delay, but i use some of the modelling amps on the G3 because the cube sounds terrible with dist or od

Then you are doing something wrong. Plug your guitar straight to the amp and tweak your EQ. Try "Classic Stack" model for Marshally sound, it was my favorite in Microcube. Muddy and thin... Reminds me of scooped mids and boosted treble and bass.

But yeah, start with your EQ controls at noon. And @ Jyrgen: His amp is Cube 20, not Microcube (but that doesn't really matter).

And really, amp models through amp models sounds like crap. And more crap than amp model alone. Just unplug the Zoom effect and plug the guitar straight to the amp. That's a good starting point.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 11-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
MadsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Then you are doing something wrong. Plug your guitar straight to the amp and tweak your EQ. Try "Classic Stack" model for Marshally sound, it was my favorite in Microcube. Muddy and thin... Reminds me of scooped mids and boosted treble and bass.

But yeah, start with your EQ controls at noon. And @ Jyrgen: His amp is Cube 20, not Microcube (but that doesn't really matter).

And really, amp models through amp models sounds like crap. And more crap than amp model alone. Just unplug the Zoom effect and plug the guitar straight to the amp. That's a good starting point.

No I'm not ******ed, I've played around with the EQs, but the built in overdrive/distortion effects in the cube is just not satisfying for me. I am able to get very good clean tones with the help of the G3 however.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Buy Boss Metal Zone.

EDIT: Just kidding. Never buy that bunch of shit.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 11-25-2012 at 07:22 AM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
blazing riff

I think you're missing the obvious point here. If I were you, I would invest in a better guitar with humbuckers if you want to go for the Wylde sound. Singlecoils just won't cut it to get that sound. If you'd play a high end guitar like a gibson trough your cube it would already sound way better!
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
MadsH

I know that, but I just want a better over driven/distorted tone
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Now, serious answer:
Try to find a real tube-driven overdrive pedal, or construct it yourself. They can turn really shitty amps into...well, little bit less shitty amps.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
ghobby

This is a cheap option, but try a Danelectro metal pedal into the cube(set for JC clean) and adjust the reverb and delay on the cube. They are under $40 and they are not that bad for practicing.

I'm assuming you mean practicing and not jamming.

Last edited by ghobby : 11-25-2012 at 08:48 AM.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I have found that distortion pedals sound awful through the JC-Clean model (at least on Microcube) and really through all the amp models. It doesn't have a non-modeling sound, which sucks. Maybe try plugging the Zoom pedal into Aux input or effects return or whatever the Cube has. Then you can get all of the sound from your pedal (it bypasses the Cube pre amp and amp models). And humbuckers are what you need. Single coils sound thinner and more twangy and they are good for some sounds but not for the sound you are looking for. Maybe try turning your treble knob down (maybe even all the way down) and boost your mids. The Classic Stack model maybe gets you the closest. Or then try Metal or Rectifier models (I'm not sure how the "Metal" model sounds like, never tried it because Microcube didn't have it). Also turn your tone knob on the guitar down a bit. But yeah, I think your guitar was designed to sound like a '60s Strat. And that's not really the sound you want.

Gear:

Charvel So Cal (MIJ)
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I love that the answer to every thread on GGA is "you need a new amp".

...unless the TS actually wants a new amp, in which case the answer is "you need something else"

Scumbag GGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Jyrgen
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
And @ Jyrgen: His amp is Cube 20, not Microcube (but that doesn't really matter).

Woops

But yeah, don't push amp modelling into amp modelling.

Quote:
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
Now, serious answer:
Try to find a real tube-driven overdrive pedal, or construct it yourself. They can turn really shitty amps into...well, little bit less shitty amps.

the big problem is the actually tube-driven (as opposed to the gimmick ones which are still pretty much 95% solid state) ones tend to be enough to just let you get a tube amp.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
I love that the answer to every thread on GGA is "you need a new amp".

...unless the TS actually wants a new amp, in which case the answer is "you need something else"

Scumbag GGA

sigged (and true)

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
&baconstrips

Wow, this is a really clusterfucked suggestion thread...

For heavier styles and versatility, the Vypyr tube 60 gets recommended a lot and it way under budget. It should handle low volumes quite well. With the leftover money you could get a bridge humbucker for your strat and maybe a nice OD pedal.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Robbgnarly

Peavey Ultra combo
Peavey XXX combo
Peavey JSX combo
Peavey JSX mini-colossal This might have a headphone out cant remember
Marshall Class 5 new ones have headphone/power scaling

The first few amps do not have headphone out, can you use your zoom with headphones?that would solve the dorm issue.
And +1 to put a hb in the strat.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: