Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

bass pedal playing styles

part of this is to see if we can generate a larger fan base for the drum forum.

so what do you do.

play single pedal?
double pedal used time to time?
double pedal used most/all the time?
use a double pedal for an occasional use for certain beats that are mainly played with a single pedal?

really describe what you play and how you use your bass pedal(s)s.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i play mostly single pedal but for some songs/beats i play double bass. not usually rolls as such, but more for groove and maybe an accent or for a really tight pair of 32nd's followed by a 16th note or a pair 16th notes preceding an 8th.

i use a lot of double strokes with my right foot though. from swung blues beats, to more punk beats.

if i were to be labled my style, it would be most similar to jimmy bower of down and slightly less similar to vinnie paul.

so more of a groove metal, but i play some blues and jazzier beats as well.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Lordyboy
Sp0drman

I recently bought a double pedal from eBay mainly just as something else to learn and expand my playing.
I still mainly play single pedal grooves, since that's what most of the music I listen to is, but I'm working on double pedal grooves etc. most times when I practice. My main problem with regards to double bass is my left foot, and all around stamina. I can play most grooves if I think about it, but I generally can't do a consistent roll at any tempo above about 110bpm right now
Lordyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
part of this is to see if we can generate a larger fan base for the drum forum.

so what do you do.

play single pedal?
double pedal used time to time?
double pedal used most/all the time?
use a double pedal for an occasional use for certain beats that are mainly played with a single pedal?

really describe what you play and how you use your bass pedal(s)s.
1.) Both my feet are very strong individually, so I could, but I don't really believe in not using a double pedal haha... just not having that 2nd pedal feels a bit limited in terms of expression to me, can't make bass drum strokes using the left foot anymore, etc.
2.) I definitely use a double pedal (Pearl Demon Drive) pretty much all the time, regardless of genre. I got into playing drums mostly with metal but the best way to be good at metal drums is to be just as good at other styles, which is pretty much my goal. I play lots of funky rock (think Primus), swing jazz, hardcore, simple indie rock and electronic music, also, but I always just bring my double pedal, because even if I'm never going to actually use the second pedal, I like having that peace of mind, if that makes sense.
3.) I actually use single pedal more than double for a lot of fills, and grooves though. I just hit the board with my leg then basically slide my foot forward while pushing down with the ankle, gets just about as much speed as I want. I play skank beats (kSkkSkSkkS etc) that way, and also most double bass fills (RLFF) I do with one foot also, allows you to keep time on the hi-hat simultaneously which I like to do a lot as well.

I basically need my pedals to go from really extreme single strokes at death metal tempos, yet still deliver a nice solid thump to the bass drum for mellow playing. The Demon Drives allow me to do that, which I love. Oh, and I generally play the bass drum heel up but I practice heel down (for ankles) as well, and I use double strokes on the feet (like John Longstreth) sometimes, mostly if something's really fast and extended and I don't want to kill myself trying to play it with single strokes.
If you know me and have been wondering where I've been, I'm mostly on Sherdog MMA, Skype, and Facebook now, so feel free to private message me if you'd like to remain in touch some way if we don't already.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
babynancy543
Banned

The bass drum pedal acts as an integral part of a drummer's set up. The drummer uses the bass drum pedal to strike the bass drum, the biggest drum in the kit. The set up of the bass drum pedal influences the drummer's style and sound. The beater in particular will influence the resonance of the bass drum. The pedal has three main parts: the foot plate, the beater arm and the beater head. The beater arm is connected to the foot plate by a chain.
babynancy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynancy543
The bass drum pedal acts as an integral part of a drummer's set up. The drummer uses the bass drum pedal to strike the bass drum, the biggest drum in the kit. The set up of the bass drum pedal influences the drummer's style and sound. The beater in particular will influence the resonance of the bass drum. The pedal has three main parts: the foot plate, the beater arm and the beater head. The beater arm is connected to the foot plate by a chain.

do you have any more useless widely known information? we aren't talking about bass drum pedal anatomy. which in reality the spring is one of the most important things in the pedal.

if you want to answer with something to contribute feel free, but your post really isn't related to the topic of this thread.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Rate This Thread: