Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #2901
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
5751s are not much lower gain than 12ax7s. Most of the time they're pretty close, actually. But they operate differently (and I'm not an expert on how tubes work). They just sound cleaner and richer; a little more "organic" to use a cliche term if you will. I love the way mine sounds with one of those in V1.

12at7s are definitely lower gain. Where a 12ax7 is rated at 100% gain, and a 5751 is usually rated at 90%, a 12at7 is rated at around 60%. (Again, I'm not really sure where those numbers come from, but I've seen them on charts.)

Neither of those tubes will "neuter" your lead channel. If anything, it makes it sound more brutal because you can hear the notes of the chords more clearly and it sounds tighter when riffing, rather than slightly messy/too much gain. With the 5751 in V1 and a 12at7 in PI on my amp, I normally still don't turn my preamp gain above 5 -- it still has WAY more than enough gain at that level. With my active-pup guitar I set the gain on 4 (using a TS-9 as a boost as well).

I've swapped the two (12at7 in V1, 5751 in PI), and the cleans got even better, but the lead tone got slightly muddy, so I swapped them back. Not a huge difference either way, but I'm an audiophile. If I had to choose only one, I'd probably go with a 12at7 in the PI position, because it really gives you more headroom on your cleans. I also recommend playing with your guitar's volume knob for cleans. Backing it off a bit will help prevent clipping if you accidentally pick too hard. The problem with this amp's cleans is that there's just too much gain everywhere. "Cooler" pickups or rolling back the volume + lower gain tubes can make a huge difference. There's so much F@$#ing gain on the lead channel you won't "run out" no matter what, and most likely, you'll like it better with the added clarity/richness of better tubes.

I'm going to have to see if my local shop carries the 5751. I know they have JJ 12ax7 and 12at7s for sure though.
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #2902
TheRiffGod
Somewhere up with Budda?

apparently, the JAN Philips 5751 sounds wicked in V1 and PI, and 7025 (super-high grade 12AX7) are best for all the other positions.

Getting some sexy power tubes and biasing them properly should be the biggest participant in achieving clarity and dynamics though. (bias mod to be done haha).

I am gonna go cryo on all my tubes from now on. I want to see how they perform.

does my this plan soundlike it is worth a shot?

V1 - JAN Philips 5751
V2 - TAD 7025 / EHX 12AX7EH (whichever I like more. EHX are stock)
V3 - TAD 7025 / EHX 12AX7EH (whichever I like more. EHX are stock)
FX Driver - EHX 12AX7EH
PI - JJ 12AT7

Power - 4 JJ 6L6GC (@36mA or so) or JJ 6L6GC / KT66

ALL Cryo BTW

sound good?

EDIT: oh yeah, and all boosted by a self-modded SD1 (LEDs for huge boost, better ICs for clarity, and better parts all over. really nice kit). EMG 81 (18v) pickups.

SD Nazgul (7) x 1
DiMarzio Crunch Lab (6/7) x 1
TAD 6L6GC-STR x 4
A small tube practice amp for metal
1x12 or 2x12 enclosure
12" speakers
Any spare components

I want your broken/unwanted gear, UK only. Message me!

Last edited by TheRiffGod : 02-17-2013 at 03:38 PM.
TheRiffGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #2903
TheRiffGod
Somewhere up with Budda?

SD Nazgul (7) x 1
DiMarzio Crunch Lab (6/7) x 1
TAD 6L6GC-STR x 4
A small tube practice amp for metal
1x12 or 2x12 enclosure
12" speakers
Any spare components

I want your broken/unwanted gear, UK only. Message me!
TheRiffGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #2904
the memory
Hoots Man!

Location: A galaxy far, far away (Scotland to the people that live here)
Completed my bi-yearly check that my 6505 still work, still good. Now if my band could hurry up and get some more members I could use it more, maximum bummer!

www.facebook.com/theashenverdict
www.theashenverdict.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/lostwoodsrecords
the memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #2905
BoneAndDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by the memory
Completed my bi-yearly check that my 6505 still work, still good. Now if my band could hurry up and get some more members I could use it more, maximum bummer!

in my band i realized it was going to be a problem that i have the 6505 and a recto 4x12, and the lead guy had a 75w line 6 spider combo.

he got a 6505+ though so it's all good.
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #2906
the memory
Hoots Man!

Location: A galaxy far, far away (Scotland to the people that live here)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneAndDream
in my band i realized it was going to be a problem that i have the 6505 and a recto 4x12, and the lead guy had a 75w line 6 spider combo.

he got a 6505+ though so it's all good.

Yeah, I've got a 6505+ and the other guitarist in my band has the normal 6505. Going to crush so hard when we finally put them together in the same room!

www.facebook.com/theashenverdict
www.theashenverdict.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/lostwoodsrecords
the memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #2907
surjer

3 years in and just now having to replace my power tubes. Thinking I might just replace with the Ruby's. I really liked the tone I had dialed in so I am a bit worried that replacing with JJ's i might not be happy. I did the V30 swap with a buddy's v30 and hated it. Wondering if I should replace the pre-amp tubes as well? Nothing is off kilter by much its just lacking the bite that it used to get when turned up loud.

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page
surjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #2908
KailM

^^For the love of all things good and precious, DO NOT replace your power tubes with Rubys. First of all, you never know what you're getting with Ruby tubes. Most often, they're absolute crap. I replaced mine with JJ 6L6s and noticed an immediate improvement. On a whim one day, I decided to put the Rubys back in to see how it would sound. It sounded like I'd placed the amp inside a -70* F rated sleeping bag -- AND it lost a lot of volume. I had to turn the post gain up to about 3.5 to match where it was on 2 with the JJs.

I'd just get some JJs and be happy, if I were you.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #2909
surjer

KailM - Thanks for the advice, You running a tungsol in V1 on yours?

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page
surjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #2910
KailM

^^Nah, I'm running a JJ 5751 in V1. I'd like to try a Tung Sol 12ax7 in that spot just to compare, but then again I also want to try a JAN 5751 there which is a bit more money to save for (I'm pretty much always dead broke). I really like the way it sounds with a 5751 in V1. It's not so much for reduced gain; it still has way more than enough gain -- it's that the 5751 just makes it sound richer and more refined. The clarity of each string during heavy chord progressions is more pronounced.
Boss HM-2
Old 02-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #2911
alessandro.quaz

Hi guys,

I recently ve buyed a 6505 +112 comb.

Usually i check My used gears so i opened it.

I noticed a cutted trace on The upper pcb side, from r36.

Anyone Can help me?

Is a factory made mod or some sort of riparation?

Thank u
alessandro.quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #2912
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ I didn't find much when I searched on that so my take is that if it sounds good don't worry about it.

If it is really bothering you my suggestion is to start a Thread on it and maybe provide a pic and some specifics to any tonal issues and you will get more traction that way. Also post a link to the schematic even though it is pretty common. Make it as easy as possible basically for someone to tell what is going on with that.

good luck
Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 AM   #2913
alessandro.quaz

Old 02-23-2014, 02:06 AM   #2914
alessandro.quaz

Up
Old 02-23-2014, 02:42 AM   #2915
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I read that peavey thread the other day and didn't report back. It seems it is a manufacturing mishap and then a unplanned rewire to reduce noise. no?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:41 AM   #2916
alessandro.quaz

I think The Same thing... I would like ti know if someone has more detailed Info :-)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #2917
RBM01991

What is the MOST popular, the cleanest, best headroom, clearest tubes you could possibly get for a 6505+ these days. I mean I want every position notated, from V1-V5. What is everyone's favorite.

What I'm looking for in the clean channel is this

Just like the cleans in that song, I know I need a reverb pedal, because I already have the chorus pedals, but I want that Fendery clean on the "rhythm" channel.

For the lead channel I want this

That "Dry" power metal distortion that seems to have nothing in the signal path.

Now I know its difficult because both tones are processed through mixers and mastered in records and what not, but I want it as close as I can. Help me
Peavey 6505+ with Custom Pedal Board
Zoom G2
Reaper 4.58
Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
RBM01991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #2918
KailM

Don't know if this helps the guy above ^^^, but... NEW TUBE DAY!!!!

I'm not going to bother with pictures because you know what tubes look like. I recently ordered a JJ ECC 803 (the long-plate 12ax7) per recommendations by Cathbard and a few others. I also bought a pair of JJ 6l6 GCs, as my old ones had about 2 years on them. (This is through my 6505+ 112 head, running through a 412 Crate cabinet, btw).

Anyway, I'll talk about the power tubes first. Power tubes don't make that big of a difference on amps that get their distortion from preamp gain, right? WRONG. I thought my amp sounded pretty good with the old tubes (which were JJ 6L6s, btw). I had some money so I just replaced them. HOLY BALLS!!! It sounds so much more brutal now! There is much more low-end and mids and it just sounds HUGE! Chugs and palm mutes hit you in the chest like a sledgehammer every time. If you've got over a year on your power tubes -- GET SOME NEW ONES. What a difference.

Next up, the ECC 803. Based on recommendations, I put it in V1. It's supposed to reduce the noise of the amp because of its design. So far, I haven't experienced that -- the preamp is still noisy without running my noise gate. Not a big deal to me. I actually get feedback a little sooner with this tube as well. However, that's where my "complaints" stop. It really changed the tone. The mids are just rich and grinding, without being harsh.

I was running a JJ 5751 in V1 before, which also produces an awesome tone -- just different. Perhaps a little more clear and percussive, but not as thick and rich, if that makes any sense. I'm actually running the 5751 in V2 now, JJ 12 AX7s (regular ECC 83s) in V3 and V4, and a JJ 12AT7 in V5, the PI slot.

So my point is, I've got three tubes in there that have less gain than what the amp came with. The amp has never sounded better. Cleans are actually quite good at this point. Good enough that I'm not really interested in getting another amp just for cleans at this point. And the lead channel is just...incredible. No reduction in brutality at all -- I still run my gain at less than 4, and there's still enough for death metal/black metal. It's just a lot more clear, rich, and thick than running all 12ax7s (stock). So get some different preamp tubes and start experimenting today!
Boss HM-2

Rate This Thread: