Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
bobafettacheese

Help me make a tough decision on which acoustic to buy?

My wife has been gracious enough to allow me to pick out an acoustic guitar for a present. I have been playing around in the various stores. I think I have things narrowed down, but I am not as well versed in acoustic as I am in electric. So here are the choices I have it narrowed down to:
Alvarez AD60 or AD70
Yamaha FG730S or FGX720 (don't need a/e at the time, but who knows)

If you have any other recommendations please let me know. I played a couple Seagull S6's and they are nice guitars, but I just did not like the neck on them. I also like some Takamine's as well. Really want a solid top not laminate.

Price range is up to 350, maybe 400 USD. I can go used or new.

Thanks for the help!
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
bellette
Google + SearchBar

If you could find a Seagull...

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
bellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

either yamaha would be a good choice. i really liked the fg730, but ultimately preferred the seagull original s6 more. still, i originally did buy the yamaha after comparing it to many guitars in lots of stores.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

I really like the Seagulls (one day I may own one) and the Yamahas (I do own one) but I also live my Ovation.

I don't know if there is a solid top in your price range, but since you are a person who primarily plays electrics, you may find the Ovation neck more to your liking.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
leesops

If you can give the Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat a try.

I think you will like the feel and the way it plays very good guitar for the money.

http://www.fender.com/products/tim-...ellcat-acoustic
leesops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

actually one of my other favorites. brighter tone, but not at all tinny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesops
If you can give the Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat a try.

I think you will like the feel and the way it plays very good guitar for the money.

http://www.fender.com/products/tim-...ellcat-acoustic
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

that's a very nice wife you have. The "blonde" is getting me a new electric for xmas( i get to pay for it though) so i understand. since you don't like the seagull that's out, i have the S6 slim with cedar top and cherry sides and love it for a lot of stuff. its not great at some of the stuff i like to play but most of my collection has its own niche.
i would have to add my opinion also that the yammie is a great choice. i would suggest the elec/acoustic though. while not very important now, you'll appreciate the fact that you can plug it in just a few months from now. a little chorus and reverb really wake it up.
Danny's right about how Ovations seem to work better for elelctric players. the strat style necks are very comfortable although, the 1 11/16" nut does make fingerstyle a bit harder but still very manageable. i love my O's for the harder kinda music i like to play. i haven't yet played the fender hellcat but i hear good things about them.
so, if i were to choose my order would be first the Yamaha,then Ovation(cc44?), 3rd would be fender(hellcat) and a distant 4th is where the Alavarez' would be( seagull S6 would be a tough squeeze between the yammie and the O for me...that'd make it 2nd and a half or 1st minus 50%?? - but like you already said, not a consideration for you)
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
bobafettacheese

Funny thing. I forced myself to try the S6 for an extended period of time, specifically the entourage rustic dreadnought. I actually really liked it, and ended up pointing her in that direction. I'm glad i gave it the extra effort, it really was a great sounding guitar once I got used to it. I honestly think that a big part of it was that I primarily play electric and needed time for my hands to adjust to the acoustic. Not to mention I really liked the look of the guitar.
I appreciate all the help and suggestions, we'll wait and see what ends up happening, hopefully this is not a cruel joke.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
ChasinCheckerz

I absolutely am in love with my big baby taylor... I know that it might be a little bit procey, but hey. Ovations are super nice too. My roommate last year had a yamaha, and it was nice and hardy and had a good sound to it, but not too distinctive.
Merry Christmas and happy playing
ChasinCheckerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
stepchildusmc

good luck cheese! enjoy it for a year and start hinting about a Roland AC60 amp for next christmas!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
art4meonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
good luck cheese! enjoy it for a year and start hinting about a Roland AC60 amp for next christmas!!!!

The amp is PURE AWESOMENESS
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
stepchildusmc

oh... and hopefully it isn't a cruel joke and you end up with star wars dolls( i know i know...action figures) and a wheel of swiss( aged wisconsin of course) in your stocking.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
oh... and hopefully it isn't a cruel joke and you end up with star wars dolls( i know i know...action figures) and a wheel of swiss( aged wisconsin of course) in your stocking.

*envisioning Slave-1 model crashing into pot of Swiss fondue...*

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: