Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
zoobooboozoo

What makes the tone differences between Taylor 214 and Guild AD5

Hi All,

I recently played on a Taylor 214 and a Guild AD5.

Both in the same price range and both have laminated rosewood( back & sides) and sitka spruce(top), the neck is mahogany on the Guild and sapele on the Taylor which should be similar-sounding.

Overall the taylor was very light and comfortable but it had a much brighter sound and the overall sound of chords(especially strummed chords) was not too "together" and was a lil' "all over the place".

The Guild on the other hand had a warm, fat, rich sound with a very lucid and clear sound of the strummed chords with every note/string having a distinct "place of it's own" in the mix of notes/strings(which is the opposite of "all over the place" in my lexicon :P ).

These two guitars seems pretty close on paper, so I wonder what makes them sound so different?

Link to Guild Specs: http://www.guildguitars.com/instrum...impleContained4

Link To Taylor Specs: http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/214

I also tried a few other models by Guild and Taylor and it most cases that bright&scattered vs. warm&stable distinctions seemed to stick.

I know that there aren't two guitars who are a like and obviously the fact that three of the main wood parts are the same kind doesn't mean it's exactly the same kind or the same woods, and obviously these are two different manufactures, but still I would like to know what your opinion is on what are the causes for the differences.

Thanks in advance for the info, ZBBZ.

P.S. - I hope my words choices was reasonable, as we all know sound is hard to describe verbally and the of course some of these attributes are related to personal taste.

Last edited by zoobooboozoo : 09-05-2013 at 04:16 AM.
zoobooboozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
FingerstyleVM

214 is a grand auditorium shape, which means less bass, but more mids and treble. It goes well with both strumming and fingerstyle. The Guild AD5 is a dreadnought, which has a deeper sound, more bass and sounds boomy, it is great for strumming, maybe not as responsive and clear as auditorium in fingerstyle, but it's a matter of taste of course. They also have different bracing, etc.

The reason why you found the Taylor "all over the place", is probably because Taylor's often (but not always) have a really bright, but not that full tone, with less low-end. The brightness of a strum may just "swallow up" different notes, while the Guild has a warmer, fatter and richer tone. That way it isn't that noisy and it enables you to hear different notes.

So the causes for differences are: body shape and construction matters.
(The sound's may have also been influenced by the strings guitars were equipped with. The lighter the gauge, the less low-end and more brightness, the heavier the gauge, the more low-end and fat tone)

Last edited by FingerstyleVM : 09-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
FingerstyleVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Captaincranky

TS; Taylor's main thing is building guitars that, "cut through the mix". That sound philosophy may not always be right for a solo player, but it goes a long way toward establishing your presence on stage , or in a recording.

Playing solo, leaves a void where the bass should be, and the average dreadnought fills that void. On stage, the sound tech may have to cut that fat bottom end, to avoid your sound trampling a lot of the bass player's best licks.

Usually, this camparison is made in the context of, Taylor vs. Martin.

You might try amusing your curiosity by adding that line into the experiment.

I'd venture a guess that the Martin and Guild sound would not be as far apart, as the Taylor to either one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerstyleVM
....[ ].... So the causes for differences are: body shape and construction matters.
(The sound's may have also been influenced by the strings guitars were equipped with. The lighter the gauge, the less low-end and more brightness, the heavier the gauge, the more low-end and fat tone)
As a wild guess, I'd say it might be string composition adding to the effect.

It would be interesting to note which guitar ships with which alloy.

I'd guess 80/20 brass for the Taylor, and phosphor bronze for the Guild.

BTW, who is the TS here, a sales rep for Guild....?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 09-04-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
stepchildusmc

i'm going with the body type being a huge reason. comparing the smaller grand auditorium the the much larger dread style is not a good comparison. my larger Taylors(GS body, not quite as large as a dread but much larger than the GA) sound very warm like they should but still retain the taylor trademark brightness in the treble while the mids and bass. my smaller GA has all of the things you noted...with the exception of "being all over the place and together" not sure what exactly that means really. it has it's specific place in my music tastes, as noted by others, the GA i play is designed to be heard thru the dreads my friends always bring along to play when we get together.( i'm not a very good lead player- horrible is a good adjective- so someone else usually plays that one on me in band settings)
if you were to compare say, a 210 dread to the guild, that would be a better way to compare.
i love guilds excellent guitars. the higher ends are probably in the top 5 best mass produced guitars as are Taylors but for different "demographics" and reasons.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
zoobooboozoo

I've used them in the same store, on the same chair etc.

I considered strings, which are obviously very important, but unfortunately didn't had the option to put the same strings on both.

If I remeber correctly, the 210(which is dreadnought) had a similiar bright sound, But I'll have to recheck that.

Couldn't find what kind of wood is the taylor bracing made of just the "x shaped scallopped" description of it's structure.

The guild sounded much more like my beloved Martin DC-1CE, and I wonder what makes the Martin and the Guild similar and the Taylor different in sound.

Links

Link to Guild Specs: http://www.guildguitars.com/instrum...impleContained4

Link To Taylor Specs: http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/214

Link to my Martin DC-1E Specs: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/item/589-dc-1e.html

BTW - I'm no guild undercover salesman ;-)
zoobooboozoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: