Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 07:02 PM   #39001
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^^ nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Honestly the way TGP has acted twards anyone bringing up the Vertex BS, it seems they are more for Mason than the people getting ripped-off

Yeah, that's the problem.

I've said it before, but if you ask me they're falling foul of okrent's law (I came across it one day when I was trawling wikipedia for lulz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okrent...krent.27s_law)- they're trying to appear balanced (and they may even be sincere and honest when they say that's what they're trying to do), but the big problem is they're screwing over their membership (IMO) for the sake of someone else who (IMO) is taking advantage of said membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
It's not the first time TGP did it. Remember the whole jan ray fiasco and freakish blues? They did the same thing and IIRC it was mostly to protect them from being sued.

Yeah. In fact TGP has actually improved quite a bit since then, they at least give some leeway now and allow these things to be discussed. When the freekish thing went down (I think) threads like the Vertex one were just closed out of hand.

Don't get me wrong, I have some sympathy for their not wanting to get sued (I don't want to get sued either), but at the same time if you're that paranoid about getting sued for libel maybe running a public forum isn't the best plan? "having cake" and "also eating it" spring to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:24 PM   #39002
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ I don't see how running a public forum could get anyone sued. As long as the owner doesn't weigh in or use moderator powers to manipulate outcomes who cares?

And in order to track down a user on a forum the police or FBI (or whatever they use in Northern Ireland -insert country here-) would have to get the ISP to cooperate and correlate an IP Address to a physical address. I don't see that happening for internet slander. Murder? Yeah sure. Slander. Nah. And it would be hard to prove. Where is Molter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
This. So I've learned to just keep my mouth shut.

Funny anecdote: Today was a "tenant appreciation day" for my company. The property's landlord sent an Italian ice truck around. My one co-worker, who's a super-bro and a bit of a pretty-boy, went back for seconds when there was no line. The ice cream truck driver, this buff Latino man, asked my co-worker, "Are you part of the family?". My co-worker was confused and just said thanks for the ice and walked away. We googled it after: The ice cream truck driver was asking my co-worker if he was gay.

There was a sticker of a cross dresser's club on the truck. It was a weird day.

Didn't you have a pinched nerve or something? How is that going Mike?

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : Today at 07:29 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:31 PM   #39003
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Just bought a Squier Affinity P-Bass at Goodwill for $26.50. It has a stupid sticker on it, is missing the knobs and some of the screws for the pick guard, has what appears to be a slightly warped neck and needs strings... But I still done good, right?

Electronics are perfect, which was my main concern (couldn't try it in the store)... But it actually is just fine. I took it totally apart, cleaned everything with denatured alcohol (it was $26.50 and dirty as hell ) and it is actually pretty decent now. Banged up a good bit, but once I throw knobs and strings on it'll be more than sufficient. I should be able to stay under $50 for a working bass.

I've only got a PA and a powered wedge to play it through, but they should be fine for my purposes.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:55 PM   #39004
tubetime86

Anyone know much about bass? Should I just grab cheap strings or will it matter for casual playing? Don't they last forever on a bass?

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old Today, 08:01 PM   #39005
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Anyone know much about bass? Should I just grab cheap strings or will it matter for casual playing? Don't they last forever on a bass?

I have the Musician's Friend house brand on mine, sounds fine to me I had the same set on it for like 3 years (I don't play much bass) and I only changed them because I was already taking the guitar apart, so yeah, they last a while.

Gear:
TBA
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:40 PM   #39006
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Just sit back and watch it burn

Happy to have lighten a match for the cause. Truth, Justice and the Americ....NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I don't see how running a public forum could get anyone sued. As long as the owner doesn't weigh in or use moderator powers to manipulate outcomes who cares?

And in order to track down a user on a forum the police or FBI (or whatever they use in Northern Ireland -insert country here-) would have to get the ISP to cooperate and correlate an IP Address to a physical address. I don't see that happening for internet slander. Murder? Yeah sure. Slander. Nah. And it would be hard to prove. Where is Molter?

Didn't you have a pinched nerve or something? How is that going Mike?

I think they need to get a court order from a judge to obtain records from any business in the US.

And good luck on getting me on slander charges.
I never said anything negative about Vertex or Mason.
I just de-gooped a pedal and shared the results.

I worked in a prison for over 6 years where you can get sued because an inmate got burned toast with his breakfast.
Thats an environment where you really have to be careful what you say or do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings

Last edited by CodeMonk : Today at 08:45 PM.
CodeMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:49 PM   #39007
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
cath, what would consider better the Rivera or the hot plate? i can run most of my stuff in 16ohm. but the option would be nice.

I built a dummy load and it worked really well. I was reamping, though, not attenuating. It works a lot better, IMO.

Just ran the amp into the dummy load, into the Crate Powerblock, and good to go.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:52 PM   #39008
tubetime86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I have the Musician's Friend house brand on mine, sounds fine to me I had the same set on it for like 3 years (I don't play much bass) and I only changed them because I was already taking the guitar apart, so yeah, they last a while.

Awesome, thanks!

I put two of the strings back on and played for a bit... Crazy fun. My PA actually sounds really good, to my ears. Guitar seems to transfer well, I can't wait to get a proper set of strings and really start learning.

I have literally been watching craigslist for three years for a super, super cheap bass... Then today I walk in Goodwill for shits and giggles and there it is.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old Today, 10:02 PM   #39009
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
And good luck on getting me on slander charges.
I never said anything negative about Vertex or Mason.
I just de-gooped a pedal and shared the results.

Oh yeah. I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the owners of The Gear Page. I heard that lawyers were giving Cease & Desist orders to TGP to then hand down to specific users. Or something like that. That's BS. As far as I know a forum owner cannot be sued for something someone says on said forum. I could be wrong about that.

I believe UG is further protected because its owners are in Russia.
Old Today, 10:04 PM   #39010
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Oh yeah. I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the owners of The Gear Page. I heard that lawyers were giving Cease & Desist orders to TGP to then hand down to specific users. Or something like that. That's BS. As far as I know a forum owner cannot be sued for something someone says on said forum. I could be wrong about that.

I believe UG is further protected because its owners are in Russia.

It's not the merit of the suit, but the cost of associated legal fees that makes them so uptight about things.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15 PM   #39011
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
It's not the merit of the suit, but the cost of associated legal fees that makes them so uptight about things.

So you are saying that TGP could be taken to court over something that one of their users say on their site and they would have to defend that and pay a lawyer to represent?

And I'm not talking about someone who says 'I'm going to kilI the Pr3sid3nt', I'm talking about someone who claims that a certain product is not what is advertized and the builder is a douche bag.
Old Today, 10:42 PM   #39012
Roc8995

Old Today, 11:02 PM   #39013
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I worded it really badly, musta been too stoned. The question should have simply been, "can I just wire up the voice coil and throw away the magnet?" I'd think yes, but magnetics is a tricky subject.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:24 PM   #39014
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995

Interesting.

I'm obviously just reading this for the first time and I have no background information whatsoever on this company or 'suit'. I also have never heard of this guitar builder. My quick take is that the guitar builder, D'Pergo, is suing the wrong company. I also think that the title of the article is misleading, "Guitar Maker Sues The Gear Page". I don't really see any reference in the article itself regarding a financial law-suit, it just says they are asking TGP, or a court to get TGP, to release all posts AND PMs regarding D'Pergo.

What it does say is, 'DíPergo argues it needs access to all the messages to determine whether litigation against those posting the comments'. Now that I can understand to some degree, although I'm not sure that giving D'Pergo access to PM's is going to happen (has happened). I also read through the comments below the article and there doesn't seem to be any final resolution. Again, I probably don't have the full story.

That said, TGP does seem to be ripe with those looking to take advantage of others and the boutique guitar and gear world in general has lots of people pedaling 'mojo' and 'magic' and 'goop'. I think it would suck to high heaven if someone paid users to make disparaging remarks about a competitor's product, but really...hasn't that happened throughout the ages, well before the internet?

I believe Vertex claimed that competitors were out to get them and causing the meltdown on TGP. Wasn't that part of the C&D claims? Again, I'm not here to defend the wrongdoings of others. I think most in here know me better than that.

from article-
DíPergo Custom Guitars Inc. says that over the past four years one or more of its competitors have posted ďdefamatory, unfair, and untrue commentsĒ about DíPergo on a Web site owned by The Gear Page LLC, according to court papers.
The Colorado-based Gear Page operates the site, www.thegearpage.net, where musicians can discuss their music and gear. Gear Page members can also purchase and sell equipment through the site.
DíPergo, which designs and builds high-end handmade guitars, filed paperwork in Rockingham County Superior Court last week in an attempt to obtain copies of all postings on The Gear Page message boards about DíPergo, its founder, Stefan Dapergolas, and its products. DíPergo also wants to examine all private messages sent through the site concerning the companyÖ
The guitar maker accuses competitors of engaging in ďgrossly unfair competition and blatant defamation of DíPergo by soliciting others to post negative and false comments.Ē
Old Today, 11:31 PM   #39015
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995

I haven't posted anything, anywhere that might cause grief to any manufacturer.
Old Today, 11:33 PM   #39016
Ippon
Amped

Also, from their website, I'd hit it.

show
Old Today, 11:47 PM   #39017
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Someone on Rig-Talk put up a fake (joke) ad in the Classifieds for a Billy Blades amp and Billy came into the main forum into the main Billy Blades thread and threatened to sue that person. Someone also posted a 'shooped' image of Billy Blades holding a an 'Easy Bake Blaze 100'.
Old Today, 11:53 PM   #39018
Ippon
Amped

Old Today, 11:55 PM   #39019
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Here, I'll go get it real quick
Old Today, 11:56 PM   #39020
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I missed the Billy Blades one. What's his story?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: