User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 PM   #20341
Ablast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Is Brutal
Overhead Press is hard bruh

I noticed a lot of strength gains on the Overhead Press when I stopped doing heavy bench pressing; my bench stayed at 165x15 but my overhead press went to 135x5, which is the heaviest I've gone with it, plus I noticed better muscle growth with upright rows and lateral raises.
Ablast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #20342
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Strong overhead press is dependent on mobility more than anything

Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #20343
mr.retard
wumbology

What do you think of this workout

Day 1

3x5 squat
3x5 bench press
1x5 deadlift
2x8 dips

Day 2
3x5 squat
3x5 military press
3x5 bent rows
2x8 pull ups
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #20344
Cb4rabid
Scheiße

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
Strong overhead press is dependent on mobility more than anything

stupid question i know, but what mobility?

the way i see it, OHP is basically a shoulder press with a barbell instead of dumbells. you're just moving your arms up and down.

i just feel so damn uncomfortable when doing any kind of barbell press. im not built for that exercise at all
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #20345
Dreadnought
World Ender

I have been terrible with posting workout logs in here. I've been working out consistently, tho, which is nice. Only problem is that I strained my achilles tendon on a 10 mile run awhile back and that's limiting my running, unfortunately.

Today was back/bi's, so I did one of my named workouts from the 2nd post of this thread:

Arthropod - Back/pull
Warmup
Shoulder mobility
10x TIY on TRX

Main effort
4 rounds of:
- 10 deadlift @ 60% 1RM (185#)
- 10 weighted pullups @ 12kg
- 10 bentover rows @ 135#
- 15 KB swings @ 20kg
- 500m on row machine
3-5 minute rest

Secondary effort
1x10 each T's, I's, Y's on rings
3x10 face pulls

Felt pretty good. It was supposed to be 5 rounds, but I cut out the last round because my shoulder injury was getting aggravated. I also slightly modified the workout, changing the order of a few exercises and removing the 5k row at the end.

I still really like this workout.
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #20346
Dreadnought
World Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb4rabid

Shoulder mobility

Quote:
i just feel so damn uncomfortable when doing any kind of barbell press. im not built for that exercise at all

And this quote demonstrates why you don't have the proper mobility.

IMHO, most overhead exercises are useless and can be substituted for other exercises or variations to preclude injury.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #20347
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.******
What do you think of this workout

Day 1

3x5 squat
3x5 bench press
1x5 deadlift
2x8 dips

Day 2
3x5 squat
3x5 military press
3x5 bent rows
2x8 pull ups

Squat and deadlift on the same day sucks, but you can do it. Seems alright, I don't know if you have a rest day in between though.

Got back from the chiropractor, apparently I've got some slight disk bulge, but if I stretch properly and do everything right it should go away within a week. I was doing shit like toe touches, but those apparently were making it worse. >.>
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #20348
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:

the way i see it, OHP is basically a shoulder press with a barbell instead of dumbells. you're just moving your arms up and down.

A barbell forces a fixed range of movement that dumbbells don't so if you don't have the mobility needed to go through that range of motion you're going to get injured.

"What mobility?" can be broken down in to two main areas:
-Internal vs external rotation: 99% of people have tight lats and tight chest which forces a constant state of internal rotation at the shoulder joint. Which suck because you need good external rotation to do anything over head properly.

-Scapula mobility: Tight upper traps, tight or weak middle/lower traps and tight or weak rhomboids all affect your scapulohumeral rhythm. Basically your shoulder blade needs to move to allow your arm to move, if your shoulder blade doesn't move properly your arm won't be able to fulfil it's range of motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought

IMHO, most overhead exercises are useless and can be substituted for other exercises or variations to preclude injury.

On a fundamental level I disagree with this entirely. On a practical level I agree, I don't have any of my clients do over head work until I've fixed their shoulder mobility. Everyone can overhead press without pain, you just need to do all the pre-hab for it.

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #20349
Dreadnought
World Ender

I'm talking from a practical athlete perspective, not from a weightlifting or Olympic perspective. Clearly the lift has benefits in those realms, but as far as "workable strength" (lol) is concerned, I dismiss overhead lifts entirely.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #20350
Cb4rabid
Scheiße

i thought OHP was the defining exercise for strength. isnt it one of the benchmarks the US army uses? unless im talking out of my ass which is very likely

unless deadlift reigns king
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #20351
Dreadnought
World Ender

Quote:
isnt it one of the benchmarks the US army uses?

absolutely not
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #20352
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:
I'm talking from a practical athlete perspective, not from a weightlifting or Olympic perspective. Clearly the lift has benefits in those realms, but as far as "workable strength" (lol) is concerned, I dismiss overhead lifts entirely.

Yea I dunno, a healthy and strong shoulder girdle is probably only second to a strong/mobile hips in terms of priority to me. And I'll apply that to everyone I deal with because most people's shoulders are screwed. That's just my philosophy though.

Old Today, 12:07 AM   #20353
Dreadnought
World Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
Yea I dunno, a healthy and strong shoulder girdle is probably only second to a strong/mobile hips in terms of priority to me. And I'll apply that to everyone I deal with because most people's shoulders are screwed. That's just my philosophy though.

I agree, but do I need to be holding 200lbs above my head and squatting in order to achieve that shoulder mobility?
Old Today, 12:16 AM   #20354
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Quote:
I agree, but do I need to be holding 200lbs above my head and squatting in order to achieve that shoulder mobility?

Yea fair enough. Maybe a clearer way of expressing myself is elite strength over head isn't important for average people, but the ability to lift over head competently is very important in my opinion.

Rate This Thread: