Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

NUPD! (MXR content)

Little backstory:
Not so long time ago, I bought a Boss OS-2. I liked it quite a lot and it was capable to give me the sound I wanted. But then, I came across a bit more money, of course after saving for two months and starving myself a bit (sounds crazy, but I don't think so, I'm still healthy, just bought cheaper food).

I bought this from the store that I've always bought stuff from, Kitarataivas. Got a real bargain on this one, probably because I know the owner so well and that I've spend now nearly 3000 euros there.
It was used, yeah, with a price tag of 89 , I got it for 75 . Note that brand new from Thomann is 105 , same goes for the Finland's MXR dealer/distributor Levytukku.

It has got the nice "Custom Shop" label on it, which means that it's earlier production than the current model. While I'm quite sure that the text is the only difference between these two, it still looks nice on it. Love the green finish of the pedal as well. Only thing that I wanted really would be a brighter LED or different colour. Red isn't the best one. I love the blue one on my chorus. You can see it really clearly in the dark from a distance too.

Sound is absolutely better than on the Boss I had. Or I mean, it fits me better. You can see from the setting that is on it that I haven't played much with it yet, as I just got it yesterday, but I simply love this pedal. Gives me great sustain and extra punch for lead and solo work. Yet to try this with my main amp, Laney VH100R, glad that tomorrow's band practice! Probably will tomorrow find more suitable settings. Perhaps I need to use a bit different at home and then with Laney. I had to do the same with Boss.

Now, some pictures:

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

Thanks!

Hah, gregs1020, I think you were the first one to congratulate me on the Boss OS-2. Funny.

Anyways, as I stated on the previous npd, I really need to save for a delay pedal now. I really want one for my clean sound.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

I love the green! HNUPD!

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I love the green! HNUPD!

Thanks mate!

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:

Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

HNPD!

That green finish looks awesome! I wonder why they didn't use a green LED? That would be teh boobz. Red doesn't make sense for that, imo, but it's the sound that matters!

You gotta love it when you buy a new piece of gear that just clicks with what you've been wanting
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

very nice

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

how do you like it as a boost?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

I've been using this pedal for 3 years now, and in some cases, it's even been my only source of distortion (on clean amps). I absolutely love it, very versatile and sounds great in every scenario, as long as you don't need a ridiculous amount of gain. Still use it from time to time for various occasions, and I still love it. One of the only pedals I still use, actually.
Enjoy it very much!
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

I love my GT-OD nice score

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
HNPD!

That green finish looks awesome! I wonder why they didn't use a green LED? That would be teh boobz. Red doesn't make sense for that, imo, but it's the sound that matters!

You gotta love it when you buy a new piece of gear that just clicks with what you've been wanting

Yeah, green LED would be badass. I'm thinking of something to make the light a bit brighter or at least more visible. The LED was pretty much the biggest reason I hated the Boss OS-2. You really couldn't see that. Other thing that I like on this pedal a lot is the switch, it really makes a loud click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
very nice

Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
how do you like it as a boost?

I like it a lot. I didn't really want uncoloured boost for my leads or solos. I wanted definitely more punch, a bit more overdriven sound or so to say and more sustain.
It's absolutely fantastic. However, this pedal is capable of just tightening the sound a bit. That accomplished with gain all the way down and output all the way up. I guess that's the case with pretty much all TS-type of overdrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I've been using this pedal for 3 years now, and in some cases, it's even been my only source of distortion (on clean amps). I absolutely love it, very versatile and sounds great in every scenario, as long as you don't need a ridiculous amount of gain. Still use it from time to time for various occasions, and I still love it. One of the only pedals I still use, actually.
Enjoy it very much!

You have? Sounds promising. Yeah, I noticed it's capable of that. Put my Blackstar on clean setting and then used the overdrive to dial in distortion.
Thanks mate! This will probably be on my board for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
I love my GT-OD nice score

Thanks! Glad to hear that.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:

Rate This Thread: