Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #261
Philip_pepper
Banned

I hate hearing people saying things like "Oh, I have nothing against gays, I just don't like homosexuality" or, in a variation of that, "God doesn't hate gays because they are gay, He just doesn't like homosexuality".

Like, oh, you actually asked Him and He told you that, did he?
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #262
due 07
haaan

my favorite is "people can be gay if they want to, but i just don't agree with homosexuality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
I still think you underestimate how much more conservative and closed off it is elsewhere, especially given that you don't live far away from an escape to something new and more liberal. At best i'd have to drive like 8 hours to experience something like that. People question things, sure, but many of them don't leave this place, or they leave and come back. I know this Christian dude who went to some Bible college in California for 4 years and now that he's back he is just amazed at how sheltered and non-exposed 80% of people here are. He's still a Christian, but he's fairly liberal now as a result of that exposure. Most people do not take it upon themselves to be exposed to such stuff, but while it is their fault, it is also a result of the environment, to a level that many parts of the country cannot understand.

I also have a friend who claimed to be really liberal and really was by the standards of where we are. She went to Sarah Lawrence in NY and came back and said how conservative she was compared to the people up there. I am super liberal compared to how the majority of people here are, but by the standards of UG even i'm not THAT liberal. When the Aurora shooting happened, the local theater announced on facebook that they were putting up signs prohibiting bringing guns into their theater and you wouldn't believe how many people said "**** you i'm never visiting your theater again" and other similar things in the comments section. It genuinely is a cultural thing that you can't understand unless you've experienced it. Judge if you must, but I still think you're wrong if you judge them in such a simplistic manner.

not treating lgbtq people as second class citizens isn't a conservative or liberal thing though. it's a human decency thing.

Last edited by due 07 : 01-08-2013 at 11:52 AM.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #263
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

I really don't give a crap about them nor anyone's sexuality really.

I do find it a bit weird though how people can associate themselves so damn much with what hole they prefer to put their dick in. I can't for my life comprehend how that can more or less create an entire personality/lifestyle different from one of a straight one. It doesn't bother me. I just find it extremely weird and it must be extremely tiring/demanding to have that kind of feeling/need.

I wouldn't say (maybe I'm delusional to actually believe I'm not) I'm such a big straight stereotype and nor do I walk around and relate to whatever I do to my sexuality and the fact that I like to have sex with women. I really don't have that thought around me all the time but maybe it's just an instinct that comes through in whatever I do.

Last edited by JohnnyGenzale : 01-08-2013 at 12:32 PM.
JohnnyGenzale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #264
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_freak
That's the part which really baffles me. According to Christians, marriage is a union of two people in the eyes of God

And yet according to the scripture they follow, polygamy appears to be perfectly acceptable, especially in the Old Testament, so according to Christian scripture, marriage can actualy be a union of several more than just two people in the eyes of God.

The tradition of monogamy in Christianity was actualy introduced by the Romans, who, under the emperor Constantine the Great, adopted Christianity and took over it's running from the Jewish Christians. Under Roman law polygamy was illegal and had been since before the Romans adopted Christianity, so we can actualy consider monogamy as something that was originaly introduced by pagans.

Martin Luther once wrote: "I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter."

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #265
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
And yet according to the scripture they follow, polygamy appears to be perfectly acceptable, especially in the Old Testament, so according to Christian scripture, marriage can actualy be a union of several more than just two people in the eyes of God.

The tradition of monogamy in Christianity was actualy introduced by the Romans, who, under the emperor Constantine the Great, adopted Christianity and took over it's running from the Jewish Christians. Under Roman law polygamy was illegal and had been since before the Romans adopted Christianity, so we can actualy consider monogamy as something that was originaly introduced by pagans.

Martin Luther once wrote: "I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter."

I was just going by what I knew off the top of my head I always learn something new in these threads
This still doesn't solve the mystery of why people are so easily offended by something as inconsequential (to them) as two people of the same sex getting married.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
solo_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #266
Obsceneairwaves
A'int no prohpet

I didn't read the op.

I just felt like saying hi
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #267
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_freak
I was just going by what I knew off the top of my head I always learn something new in these threads
This still doesn't solve the mystery of why people are so easily offended by something as inconsequential (to them) as two people of the same sex getting married.

I agree. It really shouldn't be an issue in countries that are not theocracies based upon an Abrahamic religion. Homophobia starts with a ruling made by Moses in Abrahamic religion and continued as a cultural tradition after that, but secular governments really shouldn't have a say in who people wish to marry, so long as both parties are willing parties.

What is marriage after all? It's simply a contract, a business arrangement. Marriage contracts actualy started off as an agreement between two families who had arranged a marriage between their offspring. In such arrangements, money changed hands in the form of a 'bride price' which was paid by the groom or his family to the parents of a woman upon the marriage of their daughter to the groom. The promises made during a wedding ceremony are made under the understanding that financial restitution will be expected from the other party if any party reneges upon the promises made. Marriage contracts are actualy more about money than love.

A marriage shouldn't be subject to the ruling that it should only be made between a man and a woman any more than any other business arrangement should only be made between a man and a woman.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 01-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #268
bloodtrocuted93
UG's Crack*****

Idfk It's sad Like who gives a ****. I'll **** you I want to ****, you **** who you want to ****. How is this ever a problem? (other than rape lol. oh shit did i just put an "lol" after "rape"? yup. oh well. i've gone too far t press backspace now)
bloodtrocuted93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: