Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
 
TheNameOfNoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Power Consumption Question :|

I have seen many 500+mA - AC adapters for guitar pedals that say "for up to 3/5/10/etc pedals", and the guy at the guitar center told me that my 750mA adapter can only supply up to 3 pedals in the chain. However, the Power Consumption Chart says that most boss pedals consume about 10-80mA, so I should supposedly be able to supply up to 7 high-consumption pedals in the chain.
What gives?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack






The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point


Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
I have seen many 500+mA - AC adapters for guitar pedals that say "for up to 3/5/10/etc pedals", and the guy at the guitar center told me that my 750mA adapter can only supply up to 3 pedals in the chain. However, the Power Consumption Chart says that most boss pedals consume about 10-80mA, so I should supposedly be able to supply up to 7 high-consumption pedals in the chain.
What gives?


Different pedals (make & models) have different current requirements.

In general, analog pedals have a lower current draw. While digital pedals tend to drink current like tequila shots.

Have a look at the current draw for each pedal before you hook it up. Most of the time you should be able to hook up and chain pedals up to the current capacity of the adapter. However variances in tolerance and specifications of components in electrical devices tends to mean that they don't provide or draw what is always written on the manual, so you might be able to link slightly more or less than what your specs say.

That said the guy in GC was probably assuming you were using a mix of analog and digital pedals, so he probably just gave you a rough figure.

Have a look at your specs and see what you adapter can support based on the pedals you have. There's no one magical number of pedals that an adapter can support.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by ragingkitty : 01-24-2013 at 08:05 AM.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart
 
CodeMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Masturbating in your armpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Different pedals (make & models) have different current requirements.

In general, analog pedals have a lower current draw. While digital pedals tend to drink current like tequila shots.

Have a look at the current draw for each pedal before you hook it up. Most of the time you should be able to hook up and chain pedals up to the current capacity of the adapter. However variances in tolerance and specifications of components in electrical devices tends to mean that they don't provide or draw what is always written on the manual, so you might be able to link slightly more or less than what your specs say.

That said the guy in GC was probably assuming you were using a mix of analog and digital pedals, so he probably just gave you a rough figure.

Have a look at your specs and see what you adapter can support based on the pedals you have. There's no one magical number of pedals that an adapter can support.


Even so, I think he was waaaay off.
Probably wanted to sell you another power supply.


Have a look here for current draw of many pedals:
http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

And here tells you how to measure them yourself:
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/821

In addition to the Digital/Analog current draw comparison, modulation pedals draw more than dirt pedals.
Dirt pedals generally draw under 20mA (There are exceptions).

You would at some point benefit from a power supply with isolated outputs as some pedals don't play nicely together when the power is daisy-chained.
__________________
Programming is an art form that fights back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings

Last edited by CodeMonk : 01-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Haha, benefit of doubt, Monk. Just considering the possibility that not all GC employees are noobs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
 
TheNameOfNoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
Even so, I think he was waaaay off.
Probably wanted to sell you another power supply.


Have a look here for current draw of many pedals:
http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

And here tells you how to measure them yourself:
http://stinkfoot.se/archives/821

In addition to the Digital/Analog current draw comparison, modulation pedals draw more than dirt pedals.
Dirt pedals generally draw under 20mA (There are exceptions).

You would at some point benefit from a power supply with isolated outputs as some pedals don't play nicely together when the power is daisy-chained.


Thanks, Monk.
Cheers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack






The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point


Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart
 
CodeMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Masturbating in your armpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Haha, benefit of doubt, Monk. Just considering the possibility that not all GC employees are noobs.



I know.
You are to nice.
Me, not so much
I just don't trust the honesty most GC employees I guess.
But I have never had a problem with a GC employee personally. But I have seen the actions of some with other customers that appalled me.
Maybe its my age or the fact that when I go there, I know EXACTLY what I want and have done my research.

750mA? 3 pedals at most?
250mA each?
I lost it there.
TC Nova Delay only draws about 180mA (I measured it myself, I think that's what it drew).
__________________
Programming is an art form that fights back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.