Search:

Old 07-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #41
jazz_rock_feel
UG Resident

Ayyyy great thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Notation

Music Notation - Gardner Read - An amazing book that goes through standard notation for each group of instruments. Touches on more modern notational ideas, but a bit lacking, which is actually to its credit because modern notation conventions have changed since it was written. Overall, virtually any notation you see in this book will be 100% acceptable.

Music Notation in the 20th Century - Kurt Stone
- A little better for 20th century techniques, but at this point a bit outdated so some of the "modern standards" aren't really standards, but still very good.

Behind Bars - Elaine Gould
- This is unarguably the best notation book today. It is more exhaustive than either of the above and is the top of its class. It is definitely a reference book however, as it's well over 600 pages. If you want something to read through to get a good grasp of basic notational practice, this is not for you (I recommend Read for that). It even touches on engraving techniques, although in less detail than the text below.

Music Engraving Today: The Art and Practice of Digital Notesetting - Steven Powell
- This is THE best book I've found for the minutiae of engraving. It's not about notation so much as making your scores look professional. It's the only engraving book made since personal computers became viable engraving tools (last edited 2007, and actually in need of an update) and as such is the only really practical engraving book I've seen. It goes over things like paper weights and dimensions, margins, vertical and horizontal spacing, proofreading, editing, etc.

I know you already have it on the list, but if someone's actually interested in modal counterpoint (I'm not sure why you would be, but that's a discussion for another day ) I highly recommend Peter Schubert's Modal Counterpoint, Renaissance Style over the Fux. Fux's book is okay, but doesn't really have any exercises beyond writing above a c.f. whereas Schubert's is much easier to learn more organic writing from, while still giving you the rundown on species counterpoint.

Also, Kostka and Payne's Tonal Harmony is a great book and kind of the more modern "standard" which used to be Piston.

Killin it since 2012.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #42
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Hal Leonard Chicken Soup for The Soul - The Story Behind The Song -Mark Victor Hansen - Recounts the exclusive, personal stories behind 101 of your favorite songs, from artists including Barry Manilow, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Paul Anka, Hall & Oates, Huey Lewis, Kanye West, John Legend, Melissa Etheridge, Smokey Robinson, Heart, Queen, Bon Jovi and dozens of others. Features a foreword by Lamont Dozier, a Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee and architect of the Motown sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Pats killed McNair

Now you have no excuse...

Last edited by theogonia777 : 07-05-2015 at 02:52 PM.
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: