Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
jackson4321

more strings?

hi forum,
i'm on the look out for a new guitar and i don't want to get another 6 string. i've always loved players that used a 7 string i.e. steve vai, john petrucci, misha mansoor etc. etc. i was thinking about getting a 7 string but now i'm also tossing up between a 7 or 8 string. keeping in mind my hands are quite small, however i don't struggle with any 6 string material. I have tried some 7 strings here and there, mainly from schecter guitars, but now since australia's biggest music store is now closed (RIP allans and billy hyde) i have nowhere to try any other models.

i have been looking into various company's, but i am very attracted to ibanez. so far i'm tossing up between the premium 7 string or the prestige 8 string (both rg models). these are the rg927 or rg2228a. i now own a jackson dinky dk2m which is a fatter neck compared to most ibanez 6 string models. i think becoming comfortable with the wider neck could help with moving into the ibanez 7 or 8 string models, as ibanez usually have the thinnest necks in the market.

i play progressive metal, shred and jazz through a blackstar ht-20.

i was just wondering what you would choose, moving from 6 to 7 or 6 to 8 straight away?

thanks
jackson4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I would probably never touch an 8 string, unless I wanted to add a high A instead of a low F#.

If you only plan to use a 7 string as a transitional guitar to help you get to an 8, then I say suck it up and go straight to the 8.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
bcolville
6irth 6rind 6ain

Switching from six to seven for me was not hard at all. I've played an eight and it takes a little more time to get used to. But if your not going to be playing your own stuff then there isn't too much eight string material out there. (unless you can get into Animals as Leaders right away)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Honestly, I would just go with a 7. I'm open minded to having more strings, but the only guitarist I've ever seen make an 8 string useful is Tosin Abasi, and I've seen plenty of people try.

Also, if you're worried about your small hands, definitely make sure to actually try playing the 7 first, because I've had a really difficult time adjusting, not to the width of the neck, but to the length of the frets.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

I would find it easier to transition one string at a time. I didn't have a hard time learning 7 from 6, but it did make it a lot easier to screw up in the beginning. I can only imagine going from 6 to 8 could be worse.

I've considered going 8 many times, but when I see how uncreative people seem to be with them, it starts to turn me off, or wonder how I can make it more creative. Tosin Abasi and Chris Letchford are pretty much the only 8 string guitarists I can think of off the top of my head that actually do more creative things with them.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislausch
I would find it easier to transition one string at a time. I didn't have a hard time learning 7 from 6, but it did make it a lot easier to screw up in the beginning. I can only imagine going from 6 to 8 could be worse.

I've considered going 8 many times, but when I see how uncreative people seem to be with them, it starts to turn me off, or wonder how I can make it more creative. Tosin Abasi and Chris Letchford are pretty much the only 8 string guitarists I can think of off the top of my head that actually do more creative things with them.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say Chris Letchford has made it useful, seeing as he was able to tab both albums entirely on 7 string tabs.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
thebestjoe

I'd say just go with a 7. I've been playing 7's for about a year and a half and 8 strings since June. The 8 string has been my most played since I got it, but I never find myself touching the 8th string unless I'm being obnoxious by doing 8 string sweeps or 8-finger tapping.

The jump from a 6 to 7 took awhile to adjust when switching. I played the 7 for 2 weeks straight then kept on reaching for the 7th string when I played my 6's. 7 to 8 was no problem at all for me.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

7. unless you're absolutely sure that you need to have the extra range that an 8 offers, a 7 should be more than adequate. based on what you described, it doesn't seem that you have an overwhelming need to get an 8, and that a 7 should be just fine.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Dayn

If you want to play eight-string stuff, then play an eight-string. You can always play seven-string stuff on it, too.

I went for an RG2228, and it's one high-quality beast. You don't need to 'transition' with a seven-string. You didn't start with a one-string guitar, right? You went from nothing to six. Adding two more strings when you're already familiar with six will be fine to adjust to. I went from six to eight. Took a week or so to adjust to it, but now I have trouble playing six-strings. I keep reaching for non-existent strings.

Though I suppose it does depend on your hand size. I can choke my guitar's neck, but I gave it to a friend to try and she could barely reach the seventh string. Try adjusting your playing style to see if you can reach that far comfortably.

Edit: I should add, that I had no 'need' for an eight. I just wanted to play Meshuggah and I had no idea what I could do with it. Three years later, and I've discovered it can do so much that a seven-string simply can't, and I'm still discovering more and more every day.

Last edited by Dayn : 11-25-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Dayn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: