Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Bunbucket

Pickup wire come off oops...

http://postimg.org/image/m3z8mxoat/

http://postimg.org/image/cacqxrath/

http://postimg.org/image/u43nlb4hx/

So i'm trying to put a new pickguard and pickup covers on my cheap sunn mustang i bought a month back to make it look slightly more presentable.

I managed to get the other two pickup covers off even though there was loads of glue, but when i was pulling the last one out the wires came off of it ;/

Is there a way to attach it back to the pickup or is it done?

I Appreciate any help thank you.

Last edited by Bunbucket : 05-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Bunbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar

without the wires (and not being able to find the start/end of the coil).. yeah you're gonna need a new one.
strange though, how the covers were glued to the coils, I've never seen that before

You deserved this, Matt.
metal-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
saberrocks
SaberMaidenfan

You're definitely gonna need some new pups. In the last pic, the magnet has come off. Once you disassembled a pickup there's no going back. I've actually had experience with the glued pups. They suck, as in 'badly assembled so we'll need glue to hold it together'.
saberrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

If your in the USA look at www.guitarfetish.com they have a wide selection of good pickups and they are pretty cheap. A typical strat set cost what most Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio cost for 1 pickup.

There is also a site www.guitarheads.net that has less expensive diecent pickups

If your in the UK/Europe look at Iron Gear pickups
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Bunbucket

Yeah i'll need new pickups, i thought i'd just put it all back together even though 1 pickup wasn't working and it just sounds awful.

Debating on whether i should buy new pickups, sell on eBay for as is, smash it, keep for parts or just bin it. Oh or burn it.

Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited by Bunbucket : 05-08-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
saberrocks
SaberMaidenfan

A guitar is never worthy of throwing away/burning it. You can always make a better guitar out of it by customizing, in this case just putting new pups in it.
saberrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Bunbucket

Yeah i actually bought some new pickups for it earlier, I guess i only wrote that out of frustration ;/

I'll make sure i ask/google before attempting to wire the new ones in. Shouldn't be too hard i figured..We shall see.

Also I've only been learning guitar for just over a year now hence my noobish knowledge ;o

Last edited by Bunbucket : 05-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunbucket
Yeah i actually bought some new pickups for it earlier, I guess i only wrote that out of frustration ;/

I'll make sure i ask/google before attempting to wire the new ones in. Shouldn't be too hard i figured..We shall see.

Also I've only been learning guitar for just over a year now hence my noobish knowledge ;o

What pickups did you buy?

Most pickup sets come with a wiring diagram, and if not visit www.guitarelectronics.com they have a bunch of different wiring diagrams for just about any pickup and switch combo you want. And they are free
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Bunbucket

I bought some cheap second hand ones that came out of a fender squier jaguar, obviously it would be better to spend 100 or so on good pickups but i don't fancy spending more on the pickups than the guitar, Especially while i'm still learning and i probably won't even notice the difference. Hopefully they'll be better than what i had if not at least the guitar will work.

The guitar i'll be putting them in is a sunn mustang made in india or fmic (not sure because the person before me scratched the logo off of the neck) I think sunn mustangs are basically squiers of 80's/90's or if not just a cheap strat copy. The guitar itself is really heavy aswell.

The only thing i'm worrying about is that all of the wires are the same colour so i'll probably be confused on what pickups go where ;/

Last edited by Bunbucket : 06-08-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Rate This Thread: