Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Painting pedals

Hello guys, I'm getting a BYOC Leeds Fuzz pedal soon, and I want to paint the enclosure up all pretty. I also want to put some graphics on, and have no idea how to do that. Anyone out there that could help me out?
Here is the design I want to put on the pedal. http://media.photobucket.com/image/...edsfuzz.jpg?o=3
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Use water slide transfers. Here is Smallbear's clear ones.

If you've got a laser printer: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=56
If you've got a inkjet printer: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=55

Paint the pedal black, and then put the slide over it. If it's the inkjet version, you'll have to put a clear coat over the decal before you dunk it in the water. Otherwise, the image will run.

Learn the gist of tube amps
end_citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
SomeBlueKind
Banned

Easy enough. Just go to/call your local advertisement printing store and give them the picture and the dimensions of the enclosure. From there, any newb should be able to resize and print it out on vinyl and simply stick it on the enclosure box. Vinyl is great because it will never come off and it very durable. I used to work at an ad printing company, and the hardest part, tho pretty easy still, is actually adhering the vinyl to the box. I'm not talking "Staples" printing here, I doubt they could do it. This kind of printing is usually done on a three foot wide style printer. But just look for "property for sale" signs in your area and just ask the seller who did their printing. If you still have trouble, I may be able to put you in touch with someone, though doing such a small scale job(only one actual print in very small dimensions) will likely be a turn off for many and may end up costing more than typical jobs.
SomeBlueKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Hmm. Interesting, thanks guys!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
SomeBlueKind
Banned

If you can't find this kind of printing in your area, the good news is that many will either actually stick the vinyl on the box for you and ship it back to you (at a cost, but guaranteed quality) or they will just ship you the vinyl print and allow you to stick it on yourself (if you're feeling confident). Good luck buddy!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBlueKind
If you can't find this kind of printing in your area, the good news is that many will either actually stick the vinyl on the box for you and ship it back to you (at a cost, but guaranteed quality) or they will just ship you the vinyl print and allow you to stick it on yourself (if you're feeling confident). Good luck buddy!

Thanks SomeBlueKind! I'll probably do it myself if I go that route. I'm doing this myself as much as possible.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
SomeBlueKind
Banned

NP partner. Just be sure if you go the vinyl route, that you stipulate you want the control knob pass-throughs and the footswitch pass-through to be cut out, or you could end up making a mess of things trying to do it yourself. Like I said, vinyl is very durable, but a pain to alter if you don't have the right tools. An EXACTO-knife would work, but you'd need the control of Da Vinci to equal the quality assurance of perfect circle cutouts a printer would provide. Naturally, if you want to wrap the whole box - front/back/sides, then you'd need the input and output holes cut out too. I'm making it sound way more complicated than it really is; just talk to the designer and explain what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Would this be the type of company you are talking about? http://www.elitemediadesign.com/
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
SomeBlueKind
Banned

Also, just so you don't get over charged, a nice frame of reference is about 7 to 10 dollars a square foot since you already have the design ready.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
SomeBlueKind
Banned

Yeah, just like the one's on that page under Banner and Signs, then Decals, just not the as large as a truck, obviously. Considering that there would be a little work setting up the cutouts from your image, you'd prolly run one sided stomp box prints at about 10 dollars or so. Still not bad for great quality.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

Not bad at all. Thank you so much for your experience and knowledge. Now I now which path to go on.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
SomeBlueKind
Banned

Yep. Just know that the company you picked looks well-to-do, and by that I mean they may try and jack the price for just one print or may not do it at all since they can't charge much of a layout premium. If they give you shit about it, I can put you in touch with my friend who works a local printer biz here in South Carolina. They do things from sizes of coasters to complete automotive wraps.

Rate This Thread: