Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Viban
UG's resident bum

Neck relief?

So after playing with some really high action(due to string gauge increase) for a while I've decided to do something about it,. I want to adjust my trussrod, but before I do I have one question, how immediate will the effects of a trussrod adjustment be? Will I have to do a 1/8 turn then wait for it to take effect? or is it noticeable near immediately?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Roc8995

It will do something right away but you need to give it a while to settle. I usually do 30 minutes between 1/4 turns and any more than 2 of those and I leave it overnight before adjusting more.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Viban
UG's resident bum

Now I hav a question about adjusting my action at the bridge, the relief seems appropriate via the distance from the 7-9th frets, but I'd still like the strings a tad lower, would adjusting my bridge lower do that? and if so, how would I go about adjusting my bridge height, it's a floyd that I blocked, would I need to loosen the strings first?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
hminh87
Justin here!

The overall action depends on string height at bridge and nut together with the amount of neck relief. Lowering the bridge will lower the action toward higher frets but might result in buzzing and dead frets. The nut is a bit harder to adjust but if you think its uncomfortable to fret down at the lower frets then you might want to consider to lower it.

My way of set up a guitar is to first get the neck a slight relief then adjust the bridge height according to the nut height util I find a sweet spot.

Remember to not overwork the neck too much. Even a simple task such changing the strings will require the guitar a short while to adjust it self after the changed tension. Best to give it 30 min in between adjustment.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 : 02-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Viban
UG's resident bum

Hate to bring this back, but i"ve been doing the 1/4 turns every half hour twice a day, but my action seems to be doing nothing, like literally not a single thing has happened. Would it be possible for me to lower my bridge? It's a floyd rose special, if I do lower it do I have to take the tension off of my strings first?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Bhaok
The evil old man

The truss rod is for adjusting neck relief only. If you are wanting to raise and or loser the action that is a function of the nut and bridge.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Viban
UG's resident bum

The neck relief hasn't changed either, and wouldn't the action be affected by the amount of bow in the neck anyway?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
hminh87
Justin here!

You DO NOT adjust action with the truss rod. It's either at the bridge or nut. Since you cannot do anything to the nut at your level, the only thing you can do is to adjust the bridge height by turning the bridge posts which are holding the bridge.

The truss rod is for neck relief ONLY. Do this: Fret the 1st and 15th fret. Check if there is any gap between the string and the fret at 7-9th fret. If you can slide a credit card through without touching the string then it's way too high. Vice versa, if there is no gap then you have too little relief. Turn the truss rod to the right to reduce the relief, to the left to increase it.

• ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87
You DO NOT adjust action with the truss rod. It's either at the bridge or nut. Since you cannot do anything to the nut at your level, the only thing you can do is to adjust the bridge height by turning the bridge posts which are holding the bridge.

The truss rod is for neck relief ONLY. Do this: Fret the 1st and 15th fret. Check if there is any gap between the string and the fret at 7-9th fret. If you can slide a credit card through without touching the string then it's way too high. Vice versa, if there is no gap then you have too little relief. Turn the truss rod to the right to reduce the relief, to the left to increase it.

The relief rather high still, as in you could drop a couple credit cards through it with minimal effort. To increase relief you turn CCW right?

Last edited by Viban : 02-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
hminh87
Justin here!

Think of it this way.
The strings will pull the neck toward it's side because of the tension. The neck will tend to bend upward. The truss rod is put in place to counter it and force the neck downward.

The mechanic of the truss rod is rather simple:
Tighten - Force the neck bends downward - Less relief
Loosen - Less downward force and let the string pulls more. The neck bends upward - more relief

In your case of having too much relief you want to DECREASE it by tightening the truss rod. Turn it clockwise. A neck relief between 0.1-0.5mm is considered to be the sweet spot for many people.

• ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 : 02-15-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Think of it this way.
The strings will pull the neck toward it's side because of the tension. The neck will tend to bend upward. The truss rod is put in place to counter it and force the neck downward.

The mechanic of the truss rod is rather simple:
Tighten - Force the neck bends downward - Less relief
Loosen - Less downward force and let the string pulls more. The neck bends upward - more relief

In your case of having too much relief you want to DECREASE it by tightening the truss rod. Turn it clockwise. A neck relief between 0.1-0.5mm is considered to be the sweet spot for many people.

I know the physics behind the neck and what a trussrod does, I also know what relief is. Would I not want to increase my relief seeing as I jumped from a .10-.46 set to a .10 to .60 set and I have so little relief that I'm at more like 1 mm of space between the string and the fret when I push down the strings.

Not to sound like I'm being snippy, but what I asked is which direction I turn my trussrod to add relief, and whether or not I need to remove my strings to adjust my bridge. I know how to turn the thing and I know what it does.

Considering I liked the action before I went up string gauge, and it was much lower then I can only assume my problem is neck relief seeing as I haven't touched the bridge. Not sure where having too much relief came from seeing as that would imply I have rearward bow. or that there is no space in between the 7-9 frets and the string and I have at least 1mm there.

Last edited by Viban : 02-15-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
hminh87
Justin here!

Yep. Loosen the strings before adjusting. Removing is not unnecessary. As long as they are not at full tension.

You are jumping to a heavier string gauge. That means more tension and more forward bow. You want to tighten the truss rod to compensate for the added tension.

1mm neck relief is quite a lot, you know. You want somewhere between 0.1-0.5mm.

• ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 : 02-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Viban
UG's resident bum

Well now that I've had a couple question answered I will ask again, which direction do I turn my trussrod in order to increase my relief?

1mm is the space between my strings and the 7-9th frets, that is why I'm attempting to set it properly.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
EddieHet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
Well now that I've had a couple question answered I will ask again, which direction do I turn my trussrod in order to increase my relief?

1mm is the space between my strings and the 7-9th frets, that is why I'm attempting to set it properly.

Dude, press the 1st and 15/16/last fret on the low E string.If you do so and there is still a 1mm gap between 7-9 frets, you want to DECREASE the relief on your guitar (by turning the truss rod clockwise).
Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieHet
Dude, press the 1st and 15/16/last fret on the low E string.If you do so and there is still a 1mm gap between 7-9 frets, you want to DECREASE the relief on your guitar (by turning the truss rod clockwise).

Well it would appear I have my understanding of relief backwards, and that less relief would mean less space between the frets. Makes no sense to me but I guess that's the way it is.

I went to the for dummies page to figure out which way to turn my trussrod since nobody would tell me which way to turn it to increase, or decrease my relief.

Last edited by Viban : 02-16-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
progdude93
Banned

Wow. First of all, there's no reason to get snippy, because nobody here owes you shit. Second of all, someone DID tell you which way to turn it:

Quote:

So stop bitching. Be appreciative.
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
Wow. First of all, there's no reason to get snippy, because nobody here owes you shit. Second of all, someone DID tell you which way to turn it:

So stop bitching. Be appreciative.

Guess who's gone and made an ass of themselves again. This ones on me guys *bows awkwardly*.

I never said I was owed anything nor did I insinuate it. Start fights elsewhere.

I thank those who contributed an answer for what they said.

Last edited by Viban : 02-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Rate This Thread: