Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
imaginedbufalo

Talking Mid Range Bright Guitar

Hello, I have a Martin ooox1ae and like it but want a nice bright guitar. I play mostly fingerstyle stuff like sungha jung and i like the drifting style such as andy mckee and ocean by john butler. I am willing to spent around $800usd. Would you reccommend any brands or specific guitar?

Thanks, Jimmy
imaginedbufalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

bright? taylor. you don't mention a guitar size, but their GA sized guitars from the 100 series or 200 series might be just the ticket.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
imaginedbufalo

Would you reccomend a certain guitar in particular?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Simon & Patrick(godin same as seagull) are pretty much some bright decent sounding guitars. I have their 12 string and that sucker is bright!
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
Simon & Patrick(godin same as seagull) are pretty much some bright decent sounding guitars. I have their 12 string and that sucker is bright!
That is a completely irrelevant correlation. All 12 strings are bright, period. It's because they have 6 extra strings, 4 of them tuned an octave higher than the primes. My guitar teacher, who owned one and knew a bunch, said they sounded a fifth higher than a standard 6 string. I expect that one 12 could be "edgier" in the high end than another. They're all bright, some may be brighter.

In fact, I've been wondering if the Seagull 12 string would be a little less shrill than most, since it has a cedar top.

I actually like stringing my twelves with Uncoated phosphor bronze strings. 1: so they're mellower from the start than brass (80/20) and 2: so they go dead pretty quick.

Then, I plug them in, EQ the bass up, the mids down a bit, and the treble down even more.

As Patti pointed out, Taylor has a reputation for bright. I can't speak to Simon & Patrick or Seagull, as to tonal philosophy in general. But their big seller, The Seagull "Original S-6", has more notoriety for being mellow rather than being strident.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-11-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
That is a completely irrelevant correlation. All 12 strings are bright, period. It's because they have 6 extra strings, 4 of them tuned an octave higher than the primes. My guitar teacher, who owned one and knew a bunch, said they sounded a fifth higher than a standard 6 string. I expect than one 12 could be "edgier" in the high end than another. They're all bright, some may be brighter.

In fact, I've been wondering if the Seagull 12 string would be a little less shrill than most, since it has a cedar top.

I actually like stringing my twelves with Uncoated phosphor bronze strings. 1: so they're mellower from the start than brass (80/20) and 2: so they go dead pretty quick.

Then, I plug them in, EQ the bass up, the mids down a bit, and the treble down even more.

As Patti pointed out, Taylor has a reputation for bright. I can't speak to Simon & Patrick or Seagull, as to tonal philosophy in general. But their big seller, The Seagull "Original S-6", has more notoriety for being mellow rather than being strident.

what i ment was compared to other 12 strings i've owned and played, the Simon & Patrick is bright as hell...yes they are all bright, but although it sounds good i've experienced some with a little more bottom end which mine severely lacks lol. I have played many Simon & Patrick 6 strings and they too have a bright tone...of course i dont mean that in a bad way.

none of this post was an attack by the way...i should have explained myself more lol.

how about the concert styled bodies would those be considered brighter but some more mids? if he goes for any Dreadnought its gonna have some boxiness to it.

Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf : 10-11-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
Prescott_Player

Brightness is more a function of the woods used, and the strings and the pick you use. I could write you a book about that, but let's just start by saying that you probably want a mahogany body and a solid Sitka spruce top. You can always replace the strings and pick later, very inexpensively.
Prescott_Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
Captaincranky

Quote:
what i ment was compared to other 12 strings i've owned and played, the Simon & Patrick is bright as hell...yes they are all bright, but although it sounds good i've experienced some with a little more bottom end which mine severely lacks lol.
Well, better not much bass, than too much loose bass, I suppose. Like I said, PB strings, plug in, EQ, which cures a multitude of sins. I find that because of the high string tension, compression artifacts set in quite quickly with a 12 string. You can simply beat on a six string harder. So. better dynamic range with a six. Twelves work very nicely for many things, but they lack the ability to "punctuate", like a six. They just load up when you strum them hard.

Quote:
I just I have played many Simon & Patrick 6 strings and they too have a bright tone...of course i dont mean that in a bad way.
Then you making those types of comparisons would be more helpful. "A Simon & Patrick, Blue Goose" is way brighter than some Martins I've played". More like that..

Like I said, is a Seagull 12 string with a cedar top, mellower than many other 12 strings with spruce top? (Apples to apples).

But 12 strings to 6 string, not the best data base.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-11-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescott_Player
Brightness is more a function of the woods used, and the strings and the pick you use. I could write you a book about that, but let's just start by saying that you probably want a mahogany body and a solid Sitka spruce top. You can always replace the strings and pick later, very inexpensively.
Gosh Preston, "Sitka spruce top, mahogany B & S"! That describes about 80% of the acoustics out there. How do we thin out the herd, so to speak?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-11-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

some sharper picks can add some brightness too...i use Ultex Sharps 1.14 and 2.0 and they had alot of treble compared to your run of the mill traditional pick shape. can also try those bluegrass acoustic strings those seem to have some bright punch to em.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
imaginedbufalo

I dont use a pick so that wont help ):
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginedbufalo
I dont use a pick so that wont help ):

sorry bout that, saw John Butler in your post...ya know his CLAWS add some brightness too. I prefere to keep a little bit of nail to work with on the strings, get a very warm sound with the nails clipped.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
imaginedbufalo

Yeah, I always make sure i have a bit of nail to work with (;
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i like the taylor 114 of the solid top taylors - pretty nice if you're looking for a bright guitar. for less money, the fender tim armstrong hellcat is a bright guitar with a solid top.

and don't overlook strings. different strings can make a huge difference.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: