Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
0rion2309
Prog Rocker

Lefthanded fretless bass

I'm a left-handed bassist and I'm thinking about going fretless in the near future. But there don't seem to exist many fretless basses for lefties. I also prefer tot play on a 5- string (once you play it, you never want to go back to 4). So I was thinking about 5 or 6-strings in particular.

Since they don't seem to exist I was also thinking about letting it be made custom or converting a cheap fretted bass.

Does anybody here knows a lefthanded fretless bass?

Any opinions about converting basses to fretless?

Or does anybody know where to order it custom?

The only good (and still cheap) fretless lefthanded bass seems the Vintage LV74MRJP. But it's a 4-string.
0rion2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

Good luck, I still haven't found a decent fretless 6 string that I want and I play right-handed.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
moody git
I bad writing

As far as i know warwick will give you 4/5/6, LH/RH and fretless for no added price.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
0rion2309
Prog Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
As far as i know warwick will give you 4/5/6, LH/RH and fretless for no added price.

You mean custom? Because I think the only lefthanded Warwick I saw was the corvette.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion2309
You mean custom? Because I think the only lefthanded Warwick I saw was the corvette.

The vast majority of Warwick and Rockbass instruments can be bought standard as left hand and/or fretless at no extra charge. Shops may have to get them as special orders though, as they probably won't hold one in stock.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
0rion2309
Prog Rocker

You are right, that's very awesome from Warwick to do this on their own website. Thank you very much.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Being in Belgium, your choices are probably more limited than here in the U.S.A. Over here, I'd recommend Carvin. They'll build you exactly what you want, but I have no idea how much it would cost to ship it to you.

Beyond that, Warwick is a first-rate choice, and Sandberg will probably have such a bass as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
ddhm

I'll second Carvin. You can get pretty well anything you want. They do come around used quite often too. Keep your eyes on Talkbass.com and Ebay for used ones.

A conversion to fretless shouldn't be too expensive but I would suggest a fretboard replacement instead of a defret. They are more stable and eventually, you might not want the lines. An unlined fretboard is seksy too. Ebony is the most popular choice for fretless fretboards. There is also the fact that the markers won't be in the right place on a defret. You could have the fretlines pass through the side of the fretboard so you could play with proper intonation visually though.

I'm not a fan of Warwick personally. I've never liked the necks on them but that's just me. Lots of people LOVE them. Are Spector Euro's cheap enough over there? I love mine.

If you are just getting your feet wet in the fretless thing, you could get one of the Spectorcore fretlesses?
ddhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

^Warwick changed the basic neck shape back in 2009 to a shallower C shape rather han the U shaped. Might be more your cup of tea now!

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: