Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
MultiM

better pickups?

Hi all :
I have An Ibanez GRG150DX the (limited edition I think not sure the yellow one) with normal powersound pickups and a zoom G5 multi effect unit.
I'm not really getting the sound I want, I know the G5 isn't an AXE FX unit but it's good enough for me, but I really want a higher end sound.
I think the problem is from the pickups, so if I changed the pickups will I get a better( more High End) tone?
I'm using it with a normal practice amp(forget about the amp because I'll record direct(AKA USB))
Note: I'm not asking which pickups should I buy I"m just asking if the pickups will change a lot of my tone.
MultiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
hminh87
Justin here!

A different pickup will definitely change the tone but it can go both way for the better or worse. A lot of it comes down to personal preferences.

You can have the highest end pickups but if you amp cannot handle them then the tone will just stay at the amp's level. A safe way of upgrading from a low-spec rig is first to get a decent amp as you will undoubtedly have to get one sooner or later. If you're still not satisfied with the sound then it would be the pickups turn.

What kind of high-end tone are you after?

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Metalloy

he's intersted in direct recording so a new amp is not a priority.
Zoom G5 are great when it comes to direct recording so I guess the problem is with your pups.
That being said, I wouldnt really upgrade a GRG if I were you, they are just plain shit, and I'm not just talking sound wise, the neck feel and the body arent that great either. So keep it as it is and start saving for a better guitar.
Metalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
dspellman

hminh87 is on the money. Pickup swaps, even those that involve expensive pickups, come with no guarantees. If you're listening to them through a crappy amp, you really have no idea what your *current* pickups are capable of. The same is sorta true of the computer and recording; if you have mediocre speakers (or headphones), you're still not going to be able to hear what the guitar can do.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
MultiM

thnx people, I'm looking for a nice versatile instumental sound, I like jeff loomis and joe satriani and ETC.........
forget about the amp, going for a new guitar is better than buying new pickups?
If I bought a new pickups, will I be able to put them to the new guitar(in the future) or the new guitar will already come with a nice pickups?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert

Don't spend money upgrading the GRG. Put the pickup fund into a guitar fund and go from there, even a RG350 spec Ibby would be a huge improvement.
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiM
thnx people, I'm looking for a nice versatile instumental sound, I like jeff loomis and joe satriani and ETC.........
forget about the amp, going for a new guitar is better than buying new pickups?
If I bought a new pickups, will I be able to put them to the new guitar(in the future) or the new guitar will already come with a nice pickups?

Satch uses medium output Dimarzios and Loomis uses a 7 string and actives, finding one that does both could be fun.
Yes, in theory, the pickups could be swapped into the new guitar (assuming they are the right trem spacing). There's no guarantee you will get 'nice' pickups with a new guitar; That depends on the guitar
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
I think the problem is from the pickups, so if I changed the pickups will I get a better( more High End) tone?
Nope.

You change pickups when you want to tweak the response you get or when you want to change drastically from one extreme tone to another (e.g. single coil to humbucker, active to passive, very high output to very low output, etc).
Simply changing from one moderate humbucker to another moderate humbucker won't really do anything noticable. Same goes for high-power humbuckers, low-power single coils, or whatever other pickup you can mention. Simply buying a brand-name pickup doesn't really add anything. All a pickup is is some wire and magnets. There's no such thing as 'better' tone, objectively. 'Better' is subjective to each person's individual tastes. Some people buy custom-ordered pickups worth a couple of hundred and they think that is better. Someone else might not like the response those pickups give and would actually think a different, probably cheaper pickup is better.

There's also the simple misunderstanding that if you don't like your tone it must be your pickups. Pickups are really far down the list of things that define your tone. When you listen to a recording, you can usually tell what sort of amplifier and speaker they might be using and you can tell, roughly, what sort of guitar they might be using. You may be able to tell if they are using effect pedals.
Things you can't tell are what sort of microphones the guitar was recorded with, what kind of pickups their guitar has (other than single coil vs humbucker, which is the only audible, clear difference), what strings they use and what picks they use. These are things that lots of people turn to to radically change their tone and really, when it comes down to it, these are the things that nobody can actually pick out when listening to a recording.
You can't listen to a CD and tell that "oh, that guitarist must have been using a humbucker with an alnico 4 magnet and wound to about 14k with 42 AWG wire." You will never hear someone play and think to yourself "hmm, sounds like they're using a DiMarzio Breed."
The most you will ever pick out is something along the lines of "some sort of Marshall and a hardtail guitar with humbuckers... maybe a Les Paul? SG? Explorer?"

... So don't worry about your pickups. Changing them won't revolutionise your tone. Switching pickups does not get you a "high end" tone. A "high end" tone comes from a "high end" amp, a "high end" guitar, really good playing and, most importantly, a very good recording studio with producers and engineers who know what they're doing.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Quote:
I think the problem is from the pickups, so if I changed the pickups will I get a better( more High End) tone?.
Nope.
+1 That's the only part you really gotta worry about..

Last edited by BobDetroit : 05-24-2013 at 08:35 PM.
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
MultiM

anyway, thnx for convincing me not to do it!

Rate This Thread: