Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #221
staxxxmcgee

You're telling me Hammett doesn't shred on "One"
Zakk Wylde is a maniac. Very talented musician , plus Ozzy likes him and not you jealous beyotches....
Somebody wrote Randy Rhoads as overrated!!! R U F'ing kidding me?!?!?! Aside fromo EVH, RR changed the way a lot of folks played this damn instrument.
staxxxmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #222
borja.gutierrez
Banned

Herman Li.
borja.gutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #223
slayerism

Slash and Jimmy Page
slayerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #224
Jagmaster33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vickshow
I don't care what anyone says, Steve Vai and Malmsteen. They may be technically good but I unless I was looking for something to show an example of technical ability I would never listen to their music.

Agreed. Being technically good is only part of the equation. Those two guys make music that is just plain cheesy, so their technical skills don't really matter.
Jagmaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #225
Iwalkalone11

kurt cobain imo
Iwalkalone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #226
garlic_bredhead

Slash
garlic_bredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #227
maddog61

So, am I just out of the loop or something? Cause I've never really heard Kurt Cobain mentioned among the great guitarists. Influential, yes, but that doesn't exactly make him one of the greatest.
maddog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #228
jdenmo

The only guitarists who aren't overrated are Hendrix, Page and Van Halen. And the only one I hardly saw on here (and rightfully so) was Page.
jdenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #229
rohash

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vickshow
I don't care what anyone says, Steve Vai and Malmsteen. They may be technically good but I unless I was looking for something to show an example of technical ability I would never listen to their music.

I agree. They are great but not my style. Same with Stevie Ray Vaughn, he's a great blues guitarist and I respect that but I don't like any of his songs.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #230
rohash

Evh
Old 07-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #231
rohash

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaCusted
I disagree with most of these guitarists that people are saying are overrated. Angus Young, Hendrix, Slash?? Really? They're ****ing fantastic.

Agreed, as is Hammett.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #232
slant84

I'm hoping to God y'all are a bunch of 15 yr old know - nothings.
Some of the players I've heard.......Hendrix, Townshend, Rhoads, Page, Clapton to name a few.
Put down the crack pipe kids

Last edited by slant84 : 08-11-2014 at 11:52 AM.
slant84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #233
Rickholly74

I agree that there are some players that are technically awesome and some who and not technically great but go for a sound or tone or emotion not speed. It's a matter of opinion and taste. Some of the awesome technically great players like Malmsteen, Vai, Satch etc. can play faster than a speeding bullet and move over the frets like lightning but often don’t make a real musical or emotional statement. Speed for speeds sake alone doesn’t work for me. In my opinion you can’t be thinking about the song as a song or playing with great emotion if you are playing a blistering fast run that crams 16 notes into a millisecond. You are just displaying your awesome technique not your musical interaction with the song or the other players. On the other hand someone like a David Gilmour can play two or three sustained notes that will just move me emotionally. So who is overrated? It’s different for each one of us. A lot will depend on which type of playing you consider “better” the technical side or emotional side. The ones who can be there with both (EVH is a great example of someone with his feet in both worlds) are my favorites and many of the “speed-for-speeds-sake” players are my most overrated. IMHO.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 08-15-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: