Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Jacob-Gates

guitar painting problem

Hey guys, I decided to build my own guitar and this will be my first time building/painting/etc. a guitar. I am now painting it and I decided to go with the front being solid blue and the sides and back being black. I painted the front and it turned out great then taped it up with painters tape and painted the back and sides black. When I pulled the tape off the front it looked like either there was a residue left from the tape or the paint was a little pulled up. I felt it and it felt solid and not sticky so I don't think it was residue. I left it for the night hoping it would settle or something and it didn't, so I put a couple more coats on the front and now it looks really runny (not sure how it got that way, maybe connected to the tape issue?). Anyways, now I have the front of this guitar looking like a runny mess. It doesn't look as bad as it did when I pulled the tape off though. Should I let it dry and do another coat of paint in hopes it will level it out or should I sand it down and start over on the front?

Also here is the paint I used: [forbidden link]
edit: just realized it took the link away. sorry, it's Rust-Oleum/Ford blue engine enamel paint spray can from autozone.

I was a little scared to use this paint because it is for the engine but it was the only one I could find in the exact color I wanted (all the others are to dark or light or have glitter in it). Do you think all my problems are from this paint type? I haven't had any problems with the back so this is possible. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Jacob-Gates : 05-03-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Jacob-Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
USGold

Couldn't say if the problem came from the type of paint or the multiple coating. You do realize that rustoleum is a paint for bonding to metal don't you?I'l just go ahead and assume your guitar is made of wood. I think you're back to sanding smooth, btw you didn't mention, did you use a sealer undercoat?
USGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Explorerbuilder

How long did you wait before you put the tape on? that kind of paint takes about a month to fully cure.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

I've worked with engine enamel before. You need at least a month before you can even start finishing it. Before that it is still soft, gassing and will not endure finishing.

Enamel also won't fully cure for about 6 months and being engine enamel it expects at least once while its curing you need to heat the paint to assist with the cure, just as a running engine would.

I would dare say you used the wrong paint for the job. Standard enamel is OK if you're prepared to work with it and understand its drying, finishing and curing times. However Engine enamel is not a good choice as how would you go about heating the paint to engine temps without affecting the guitar body

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 05-04-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
SerpentineGtars
UK Guitar Maker

Sand (or scrap off) that stuff right back and start again from scratch with some Acrylic, Poly or Nitro products (primer, colour and clear).

Don't tape anything up until you know the previous coats are dry enough.

Rate This Thread: