Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
macashmack
Maskcashmack

How long do you think it would take to play the piano on the level of this guy?

He plays a lot of stuff so his level could be varied.
I say about 4 years, what do you think? Assuming I practice everyday.
Keep in mind I don't need the theory part or the ear of playing as that's been learned through the past 6 years of guitar It would be purely the technique of the piano.

Last edited by macashmack : 10-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
British_Steal
UG Member

Location: Up here in space Im looking down on you My lasers trace Everything you do
4-6 years seems reasonable

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
British_Steal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I'd budget a good 18 months to master that leaning back thing he's doing.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
ChucklesMginty
\_(ツ)_/

This guy is totally into Joe Hisaishi.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
sweetdude3000

4 seems reasonable. I'd say you could even get there sooner, depending on your ability to read sheets. Not sure about the improvisation part. When I started taking piano lessons years ago, the focus was only playing sheet music. Actually playing by ear is frowned upon because it's up to you to interpret the work and your phrasing will naturally follow. Improv was never touched on either... it's an art that has been neglected in classical training.

Technically, its easier to start making music on a piano than guitar, but the nuances take years to master like any instrument.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah improvisation was never mentioned when I did piano either. At all. Heck even the theory was (IMO) taught not as well as it could have been as it was so geared towards just being able to read sheet music.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
sweetdude3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah improvisation was never mentioned when I did piano either. At all. Heck even the theory was (IMO) taught not as well as it could have been as it was so geared towards just being able to read sheet music.

Its extremely common. I feel like these things are taught a certain way for generations and it's passed down to the next set of teachers. I always thought you were either born with the improv gift or not so I never bothered. Then I take up guitar and people talk about fretboard patterns and chord progressions, and I was really confused - you see accidentals all the time and when you are playing everything from Bach to Bartok oversimplified chord progressions and scales seem like waste of time.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah i mean i remember being annoyed at having to learn all the scales, heck that's one of the reasons I quit doing piano exams. Then I take up guitar and realise that there's actually a set pattern in terms of semitones etc. that makes up scales, that you don't have to learn each scale individually, really.

now... it's entirely possible it was explained properly to me and it went over my head. but i doubt it. it was all "oh G major, just remember that has one sharp". Circle of fifths/fourths was never mentioned, either.

And my piano teacher was really good, I enjoyed going to piano. But it still could've been easier.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
triface
Drenched in Syrup

I think 3-4 years would be pretty good. Maybe 2 years+ in if you're ready to spend a lot a lot of time being extremely frustrated just doing rote memorization and practice of something similar.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: