Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
IC400Iceman
The Iceman fanatic

Another amp recommendation thread

I am on the market for a new tube combo or head and cab. My budget is $1000. I will be jamming with a drummer often and will play occasional gigs. I will be using it for southern rock to metal. It doesn't have to have an ungodly amount of gain but a fair amount. I am also leaning toward a more British sound but I will consider American voiced amps as well. I really would like to go for a tone similar to what is on most Mastodon albums. I also like the tone on Clutch's tone on Blast Tyrant for a hard rock sound. I know that a JCM800 combo would be a popular option at this price, but I am not sure which models I should keep an eye out for. I really love Orange amps and couldn't get enough of the OR15 in stock at my local guitar shop. Would the OR15 or the Jim Root Terror be a better option for what I am wanting to achieve?

I am open to any option though. If you know of an amp that you would check out in my situation.

I live in Evansville IN. I do not mind driving to bigger cities around me like Indy, Nashville, St. Louis, and Louisville.

Last edited by IC400Iceman : 03-23-2013 at 04:08 AM.
IC400Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Deadpool_25

I dunno but looks like you need a bump. I keep hearing the Jim Root isn't worth the extra cash though.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 03-24-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
ragingkitty
meow?

What about the Line6 DT amps?

The Orange OR15 sounds like a sweet piece of gear, but its only 1 channel, and I'm not sure if can compete with drummer.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
What about the Line6 DT amps?

I was gonna recommend the DT25 but I'm sick of recommending it. No one buys it anyway...and it is f'n awesome. Anti-Line-6-bias IMO.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
Bladed-Vaults
Broceidon king of Brocean

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Diamond...=item336e1f5b80

I hate to throw ebay links out. but these are REALLLLLLLLY good little amps.
marshally in tone. and nice and tight.

I have the diamond nitrox. and the assasin sounds like a scaled down version of its lead channel.. the assasin is quite a bit better than the jim root head.
Bladed-Vaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
IC400Iceman
The Iceman fanatic

Wow I figured this thread was going to just die. I will definitely look into the Diamond. that looks awesome. Also good call on the Line 6.

My local GC has an OR15 and it will keep up with a drummer no problem. No real cleans to be had at this level but I am really just wanting a good OD tone. Being based on the TT I figured it would be kinda harsh but the thing just purs.
IC400Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC400Iceman
I am on the market for a new tube combo or head and cab. My budget is $1000. I will be jamming with a drummer often and will play occasional gigs. I will be using it for southern rock to metal. It doesn't have to have an ungodly amount of gain but a fair amount. I am also leaning toward a more British sound but I will consider American voiced amps as well. I really would like to go for a tone similar to what is on most Mastodon albums. I also like the tone on Clutch's tone on Blast Tyrant for a hard rock sound. I know that a JCM800 combo would be a popular option at this price, but I am not sure which models I should keep an eye out for. I really love Orange amps and couldn't get enough of the OR15 in stock at my local guitar shop. Would the OR15 or the Jim Root Terror be a better option for what I am wanting
Its well within your budget, but have you checked out a Peavey VTM yet? Listen to Baroness's first few albums, they were recorded heavily with one and sound very similar to a JCM800. You might like a Jet City JCA50/100H as well, Soldano voicing is somewhat similar to British styles.

ASG Hybris is you're lucky enough
Peters Gryphon or Hydra
Engl Blackmore
Framus Dragon

As far as 800's to look for, the single channel models are the ones you want. The dual channel versions had a problem with the channels bleeding into each other. And the JCM900SLX is worth looking at too, specifically.

EDIT: Just realized who this was . Gigging and a drummer, eh? Southern metal? This is the style of music I've wanted to write for a long time
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D : 03-25-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: