Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Noct

DIY Kit

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting one of the DIY guitar kits to build and upgrade parts as time goes by. I'm torn between a mahogany body explorer or LP body style or a basswood PRS body style. Can any of you give any recommendations on either of these?
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

You need to figure out which you prefer. Obviously, different woods have different characteristics, but there are other factors in play. For one, explorers are said to be neck heavy, but I don't think I've ever held one, so Idk.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Noct

As far as sound goes, I usually go with hard rock to some metal. My taste is more Metallica and Stone Sour ish I guess you would say.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct
As far as sound goes, I usually go with hard rock to some metal. My taste is more Metallica and Stone Sour ish I guess you would say.

Do you have links to these kits?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Noct

Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I wouldn't expect quality mahogany for those prices. And the Les Paul isn't a traditional Les Paul because it doesn't have a maple top, it's solid mahogany with a veneer.

Since the only thing you're really concerned about is the wood and build quality, I would be very hesitant to order from them. But if you can find good reviews and pics of completed builds that look good, they might be ok.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
X-plorer88
Unlisted User

Unless you're a master luthier, and you're not since you're considering these kits in the first place (no offense), all said and done these kits will end up playing like crap. So worrying about tone is the least of your problems.

Just because a cut of wood is mahogany doesn't mean its instrument quality.

I'm not saying don't do it. But do it for the guitar building/finishing experience. Doing a decent job requiers alot of dedication. And even so it probably won't come out as good as you expect. You get what you pay for, simple as that. But if you just think that finishing a guitar might be a fun project or you want to learn the process involved... well you gotta start somewhere... go for it. Just don't bicker over little things. It won't matter in the long run.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
yelemusic

I once built a mahogany SG kit with set neck, which of course was a lot of fun to make. And to my surprise it plays and sounds pretty well. Sure the wood used isn't top quality, but it's fun playing this axe. I have to admit I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to guitars, and still I like my SG

So unless you don't expect a master instrument, building these kits can get you a decent guitar for little money and lots of fun involved.
I did replace all of the hardware though, because it was crap. Usable but nothing to get excited about.
yelemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
triglide5
UGs only Harley rider.

Carvin makes some good kits. More expensive but better quality plus you can pick what you like as far as hardware and stuff. Lots of options. I made a bolt about five years ago and one of my sons still uses it as his main.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/hawg/
triglide5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: