Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

Tapping

When tapping, which way should you pull off the string? Should you pull off with an upstroke or a downstroke?

Let me rephrase that for clarity.

Should I pull my fingers away from my palm or towards my palm when pulling off?

Last edited by dannydawiz : 04-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
Celestus

Bla-bla-bla

That would be ridiculously hard if I got you right. I tap moving my finger sideways and the whole movement comes from the wrist, not sure if that's the "one and only" true way of doing it, but hey, works.

Edit: Go to youtube, find some famous guitarist playing a tapping part, look at his hand, try to replicate it and see if it's comfortable for you.
Celestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I personally pull off like a downstroke, but i have friends that prefer doing it like an upstroke.
I would say play around with it and see what works best and feels best for you, i believe it's a very individual thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
deltadaz

Do both see which one u stick with..
Old 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Gregguitardude

I usually go with a downstroke, seems to work for me.
Gregguitardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I pull-off down and i don't know anyone who does it up
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
I pull-off down and i don't know anyone who does it up

I go with an up stroke, I find it much easier to do it by curling the fingers in to the palm rather than flicking away; feel like it gives me more control.

This, however, is one of the very few times where I will say it is entirely down to preference. I can't really think of any compelling reason to do one or the other.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

It's great to see that there's a bit of variety in the way people like to execute tapping.

For years I've tapped pulling down on the string but recently I've found that I get a stronger tone going up which also allows me to keep my wrist muting the strings instead of bouncing around.

I'm going to resolve to your method Zaphod. Thanks for everyone who responded!
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I go with an up stroke, I find it much easier to do it by curling the fingers in to the palm rather than flicking away; feel like it gives me more control.

This, however, is one of the very few times where I will say it is entirely down to preference. I can't really think of any compelling reason to do one or the other.

Fair enough, you're the first person i know of to do it then. I used to pull up my pull-offs when i first started guitar. I remember my guitar teacher at the time pointing it out and he thought it was rather interesting. I somehow ended up changing to the regular way of pulling down without even realising though.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayne92
Fair enough, you're the first person i know of to do it then. I used to pull up my pull-offs when i first started guitar. I remember my guitar teacher at the time pointing it out and he thought it was rather interesting. I somehow ended up changing to the regular way of pulling down without even realising though.

It's weird, it's not something I often look out for while I'm looking at someone else's technique... I think to me it makes more sense though, pulling up using the finger itself rather than moving the whole hand makes it more like doing a pull-off, just with another hand. Victor Wooten, bass god, was talking about doing the insane tapping stuff he does once and said that the tapping hand should be an exact mirror image of the normal fretting hand; it might not always be practical but I think there's definitely something to be said for that approach. He was talking about basically doing melody lines entirely with tapping though so as I said, I don't know if that exact way of looking at it always applies

Rate This Thread: