Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
skeptic4thewin

Help me pick a guitar to buy!

I've decided I'm going to buy myself a new guitar once I can pick one out. I have a somewhat clear idea of what I want but I'm finding it hard to narrow it down to find just the right one. Here's what I'm looking for:

-I'm willing to spend up to 900 dollars (Canadian)
-Comes with high quality, high-output passive humbuckers
-Mainly suited to metal/punk tones but also diverse for nice cleans
-Precise, high quality machine heads

For live I'll be running it into a Marshall JMD1 100W head and a Marshall 4x12 cab and I use Pod Farm to record.
skeptic4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
halfj06

Ibanez rg1xxv 25th anniversary?
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Too vague. We need more detail.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Closest city?

Look for a used Jim Root tele.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Gibson Les Paul Jr. Musicians' Friend sells the two humbucker version for like $750. And since guitar center and Musisians friend are the same company you can go in store if you wanna try one out first. Also try out the epiphone 339 Pro for punk. You dont need the ultra-only difference is nanomags and no push-pulls in the ultra. Can play literally anything, try it out! Comes with the Epiphone Probuckers (Burst Bucker copies).
ZepJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
romeozdistress

if it was me, id look for a used gibson explorer.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
skeptic4thewin

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I'm starting to wonder if it might be more worth it just to stick the SH-4/SH-2N set in my Epiphone Les Paul standard and get some 18:1 locking tuners. The only thing I would be missing out on would be the opportunity to find a guitar that I like the feel of more. I've been playing this thing exclusively for about 7 years and I think I'd like something with a bit better playability. I recall being interested in the J5 telecaster years ago but it looks like they've discontinued it in favor of a more expensive, "deluxe" version. The 339 Pro looks pretty interesting as I've always had a thing for hollowbodies. I'll probably be making a trip to a guitar shop soon to try out some guitars but keep the suggestions coming!
skeptic4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
halfj06

Go to the store and if your not blown away by something or really need some new.feature like.a trem for example.. or a 7 string then id just go with the eppi.. nothing it really can't do.. maybe like you said some new pickups, id get a coil tap going on too just to give you something new to play with
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Look at Godin- Canadian company noted for making affordable but high quality guitars. Depending on model, there are HH, SSS, HSS, and HSH options, some with tremolos.

Their Velocity is a HSS model with trem that was discontinued in 2011. There are still new ones in some stores for @$900USD, but pristine used ones can be had for @$450USD. The Freeway SA is a HSH with synth access for just under $800USD.

Fernandes makes the Ravelle, Dragonfly and Revolver that are all HH guitars (with or without trem). They tend towards hotter pickups, so they work better for rock & metal than blues or jazz. They also have a sustainer available.

DBZ guitars also have characteristics similar to Fernandes- hot HH designs with shredders in mind.

Reverend has a more retro visual aesthetic than any of these. Korina is the usual body wood. Pickups suited for a broader range of music than most. Some have unusual pickup configurations- the Double Agent has a HB in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Heideck

Godin are awesome. You can have so nice Ibanez S or RG series for that price. You can get LTD 1000 series used for this price without problem. (some EC-1000 have seymour duncans and are very nice)

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

I think locking tuners are a waste of money imo. If you use the locking method of restringing your guitar, you're basically making non-locking tuners work essentially the same way as ones that lock.

Having a higher ratio tuner is neither here or there either. A 14:1 ratio tuner opposed to an 18:1 tuner is hardly going to make a difference worth paying for. Since your Epiphone has Grovers (i would think, most modern Epiphones do), i see no reason to change them. Grovers are good machine heads.

As for having high-output humbuckers, you already have them in your Epiphone. And if you want it to play better, why not get it serviced? If the frets are worn, get the guitar's frets levelled.

If you want something that make your guitar sound better, use that $900 to get a new amp.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-14-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
I think locking tuners are a waste of money imo. If you use the locking method of restringing your guitar, you're basically making non-locking tuners work essentially the same way as ones that lock.

Having a higher ratio tuner is neither here or there either. A 14:1 ratio tuner opposed to an 18:1 tuner is hardly going to make a difference worth paying for.

As for having high-output humbuckers, you already have them in your Epiphone. And if you want it to play better, why not get it serviced? If the frets are worn, get the guitar's frets levelled.

its just os much quicker and easier though man. they are great.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
its just os much quicker and easier though man. they are great.

The locking method is cake once you know how.

(´・ω・`)

Rate This Thread: