Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Arisk97

Can i run a bass cab and a guitar cab through a guitar head?

The title says it all. Just to clarify, i have a marshall mg100hcfx head and cab. However, the tone isn't bassy enough for me. To fix this i was thinking about buying a bass cab and making it a full stack. Would this sound good or would it sound like shit? Also, more importantly, would it work? I haven't decided on a bass cab yet so any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Arisk97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

It would work, but it might not give you the results you want. Bass speakers aren't designed to handle guitar frequencies. You risk damaging the speakers if you do it.

It would be easier to buy an octave pedal or something.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Arisk97

Thanks for the suggestion, i didnt know that a guitar could damage bass speakers. I talked to the local tech and he said it would work but i may get a really muddy tone. I've tried octave pedals and they dont give me that sound that im looking for. Any idea on how to get a bassy sound that will make a stage vibrate and give a unique tone but still not overwhelm the band, especially the bassist?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Supersonic-95
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisk97
Thanks for the suggestion, i didnt know that a guitar could damage bass speakers. I talked to the local tech and he said it would work but i may get a really muddy tone. I've tried octave pedals and they dont give me that sound that im looking for. Any idea on how to get a bassy sound that will make a stage vibrate and give a unique tone but still not overwhelm the band, especially the bassist?

EQ pedal, humbucker pickups, and turn the bass higher on the amp.
Supersonic-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Arisk97

I could do the eq pedal. Do you recommend a specific eq pedal? And also i have a single coil strat so no humbuckers. Also, i've tried to turn the bass up and it completely drowns out the highs and gets all muddy.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Bass speakers CAN handle guitar frequencies. The other way round causes problems. A lot of guitarists through history have used bass cabs- Josh Homme for example. Plus, the Fender Bassman, one of the most celebrated amps for guitarists, is, strangely enough, a bass amp.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Supersonic-95
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisk97
I could do the eq pedal. Do you recommend a specific eq pedal? And also i have a single coil strat so no humbuckers. Also, i've tried to turn the bass up and it completely drowns out the highs and gets all muddy.

Yes, the MXR 10 band is great.
Supersonic-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Arisk97

Well i guess the question now would be whether or not it would sound good and provide a wide range of frequency response?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ The main limitation is your Marshall MG head, which is not known for it's rounded pure tone. It should be noted also that if you add too much bass to your tone you'll fail to cut through the mix.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Arisk97

I personally like the tone and i also always play through my boss gt100 pedal. On the pedal i can make patches that have a full frequency range, i believe up to 44.1k hertz. I want to be able to fully utilize that range.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #11
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

That 44.1kHz actually refers to what's called a sampling rate. Your GT100 is a digital based pedal, and yoir guitar signal is analogue. To turn the analogue signal into something that the pedal can use and process, the pedal has something called an analogue-to-digital converter (ADC). This takes tye analogue signal and turns it into digital. Now, digital doesn't work like analogue. It's made of discrete units, rather than the continuous nature of analogue. A good way to think of it is looking at curves in new and old games- on new games, a curve looks like a curve (it isn't really, but it looks like it, so go with it and pretend that it is actually a curve) while the same curve on the Sega Mega Drive is a series of steps. The more steps you have in the same line length, the smoother the curve becomes. So, back to the ADC. In order to get the digital signal to sound somewhat like an analogue one, the ADC takes 'snapshots', or 'samples' 44100 times a second. All those samples are put together, in order, to create the signal in the digital realm, but the curve will look like a series of ascending and descending stairs (if you zoom in enough, 44100 samples is a lot per second). Now, the more samples the ADC can make, in theory the closer to the analogue signal you get- CDs have a sampling rate of 44.1kHz, whilst hi-res audio can have 96kHz, 192kHz, even 352.8kHz and 2822.4kHz for SACD applications. So, SACD has 2,822,400 samples per second, compared to CD's/your pedal's 44100.

Hope that made sense.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
deepikarai
Banned

Yes you can. There is nothing is impossible. But, think that what kind of output you will get from this.
deepikarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Arisk97

That 44.1kHz actually refers to what's called a sampling rate. Your GT100 is a digital based pedal, and yoir guitar signal is analogue. To turn the analogue signal into something that the pedal can use and process, the pedal has something called an analogue-to-digital converter (ADC). This takes tye analogue signal and turns it into digital. Now, digital doesn't work like analogue. It's made of discrete units, rather than the continuous nature of analogue. A good way to think of it is looking at curves in new and old games- on new games, a curve looks like a curve (it isn't really, but it looks like it, so go with it and pretend that it is actually a curve) while the same curve on the Sega Mega Drive is a series of steps. The more steps you have in the same line length, the smoother the curve becomes. So, back to the ADC. In order to get the digital signal to sound somewhat like an analogue one, the ADC takes 'snapshots', or 'samples' 44100 times a second. All those samples are put together, in order, to create the signal in the digital realm, but the curve will look like a series of ascending and descending stairs (if you zoom in enough, 44100 samples is a lot per second). Now, the more samples the ADC can make, in theory the closer to the analogue signal you get- CDs have a sampling rate of 44.1kHz, whilst hi-res audio can have 96kHz, 192kHz, even 352.8kHz and 2822.4kHz for SACD applications. So, SACD has 2,822,400 samples per second, compared to CD's/your pedal's 44100.

Thanks that does make sense, would you happen to know what the frequency range of the boss gt100 pedal would be?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
yinlan
Banned

Hello,I am glad to make friend with you !
Better protected up the Shenguang (blinding) the consequences of the top stage encounter the glare encounter lnger than before mmotank.com remains, follow the assess. may retaliate over Pinseng budget only Sri Lanka hit coming back to buy Cowen to get all your emprend.First you frequently log on some websites, such as duowan,I like the need to sign-up website, you will complete these websites on a action headline protection security protection password after your website was hacker's captured your protection security protection password leaked after on the internet online hackers would offer these details there is a need, they have a lot to do Blizzard activities, some do EA activities and so on.

The details is generic,believe me,the on the bladesoulbuy.com online hackers every attempt virgin dry value of these details.Data is not 100% appropriate protection security protection password, usually ranging from several million to more than a few million,so to filter out invalid details comes from the application, evaluate out the formal website to buy Cost-effective , the biggest staying is black comprehensive

See Daohao is how to do it. Initially offsite protected if you logged in the encounter, then your issue will be closed, closed from vipgw2.com battle will not be able to go in, but if you first lead capture pages and then log in to the encounter, so when your action is closed, batlle web web page is still begin, you can still use the find out out it complicated to enhance your protection security protection password. customized will be able to on the encounter to cost-effective, it's that easy,variety.

Last edited by yinlan : 07-17-2013 at 05:06 AM.
yinlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: