Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

Left handed playing right handed

So lately I've felt that because I'm left handed but play right that it extremely limits my playing speed. I can't do 16th notes beyond 120bpm and my slapping is obnoxiously slow. I've been playing for 3 years and I think I should be way beyond that, no? Anyone else feel this way or have any advice? It's really getting me down.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
chatterbox272

I highly doubt being a lefty playing a righty limits your playing in any way. I've been playing for almost 5 years (only owned a bass for 4 though) and I'm roughly at the same level, even though I'm right handed. Everyone advances at different rates and you'll get there eventually. I read somewhere that if you're feeling a little demotivated flip your bass upside down and try playing it, that's what it was like when you started out. Look at how much you've improved since then, and you'll just keep improving as long as you keep practicing.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

Im a lefty playing righty, it was just how I started playing and I stuck to it. Probably six months after playing I picked up a left bass and it felt weird so I didnt try switching. I dont feel it has put a damper on my playing in anyway. Playing bass isnt a natural thing you had to learn how to do everything some nothing. So I dont feel like playing with your dominate hand or not has anything to do with how you play. Its practice and repetition that gives you the skill to do so. Just keep plucking away at in and in time it will all click.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawshik
So lately I've felt that because I'm left handed but play right that it extremely limits my playing speed. I can't do 16th notes beyond 120bpm and my slapping is obnoxiously slow. I've been playing for 3 years and I think I should be way beyond that, no? Anyone else feel this way or have any advice? It's really getting me down.
Gosh, I'm a lefty playing lefty, (guitar), and sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have taken many people's advice, and learned to play right handed...

With that said, we aren't all blessed with the same speed of hand, coordination, or reflexes. And that doesn't touch on whether or not we can generate pleasing improvised melodies on the fly.

Not all golfers can generate the same club head speed with their swing. But the best find a way to win anyway.

So, work with what you have. If you have to work twice as hard for half the improvement of someone else, then I guess it should only make you appreciate it more.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
apotterdd
\m/Dio\m/

I'm also a lefty playing the bass righty. What I was told over 20 years ago is that your left hand already knows how to "walk" and to play on.

Don't feel bad. I still don't think I'm fast enough for the stuff I like to play. Break it down and practice the hell out of it. You will get quicker. What is it that you like to play and what songs are giving you trouble?
apotterdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

You will never feel that you are great because you are your worst critic. You spot all of the mistakes you make and you know what you can't play and would like to be able to play. You usually don't see the good sides of your playing. Your technique after 3 years won't be perfect. The musicians in the most famous bands have been playing for over ten years. But even after ten years your technique won't be perfect. It never will. There's always something new to learn. Some people learn faster, some learn slower. You just need to practice more.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
JELIFISH19

I don't think it's a problem. I'm a guitarist I think skill and comfort is acquired. When you first pick up a guitar or bass, whether right or left handed, I feel like you're in the exact same place. Things aren't going to be comfortable and you won't have great control over anything. And even if things are better for one or the other, it's nothing that a few days of playing won't fix. Just keep practicing and maybe focus on the things you want to do. If you really concentrate on slapping or improving speed, you should see results. Playing right handed has many benefits over left-handed in the long run. You have a lot more instruments available to you and they're usually cheaper than their right-handed brothers. Just keep playing and you'll be very happy when it's time to get a new bass.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: