Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
ken styles

Key of this song

Hi All,
I'm listening around on the tube and came across this cover.

I think they are doing it in the key of G Maj.

Do you think I"m correct?

I did a little maj pentatonic soloing over it and it seemed to work but then when I looked up the key I was wrong.
ken styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
satrionic1
mentally disturbed

looks pretty E minor to me.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
ken styles

and this one I can't figure out if it's Ab minor or B maj? I'm I off?

Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
ken styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrionic1

which is the relitive minor of G...I'm having a hard time pin pointing which one to work with since the pentantic scales are the same....any ideas how to work on this
Old 06-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
satrionic1
mentally disturbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken styles
which is the relitive minor of G...I'm having a hard time pin pointing which one to work with since the pentantic scales are the same....any ideas how to work on this

depends on the root note. G major scale = E minor scale. here the G is Ionian and E is Aeolian. and the song sounds like a minor one, meaning the root is E minor, so you should solo in E Aeolian.

the other song is in G#minor btw
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
depends on the root note. G major scale = E minor scale. here the G is Ionian and E is Aeolian. and the song sounds like a minor one, meaning the root is E minor, so you should solo in E Aeolian.

dude stop it
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
PSimonR
PSR

You gotta listen and decide major or minor first. Then the key letter. Then test it - does it resolve to the right root.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:

Get this shit out of here!

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
HotspurJr

Quote:

Sigh.

The G major scale is not the same scale as the E minor scale. They share the same notes, but the function of the notes is different.

You don't determine the key by comparing notes. You determine the key by listening to the resolution. If you don't know how to hear a resolution, work on your ear. Use the functional ear trainer and you should start to hear resolutions quickly.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
satrionic1
mentally disturbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Sigh.

The G major scale is not the same scale as the E minor scale. They share the same notes, but the function of the notes is different.

You don't determine the key by comparing notes. You determine the key by listening to the resolution. If you don't know how to hear a resolution, work on your ear. Use the functional ear trainer and you should start to hear resolutions quickly.

i dont know what you think i said up there, but oh well. the G major scale is the same scale as the E minor scale (meaning they have the same notes). Only the tonic note is G, which makes it a major scale and it's also called an ionian mode. are you going to argue with me on that? please don't.

Last edited by satrionic1 : 06-22-2013 at 11:47 PM.
satrionic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
MattyBoy 1337
Registered Re-user

Quote:
i dont know what you think i said up there, but oh well. the G major scale is the same scale as the E minor scale (meaning they have the same notes). Only the tonic note is G, which makes it a major scale and it's also called an ionian mode. are you going to argue with me on that? please don't.

Just because they share same notes, doesn't mean they're the same scale. They function totally differently.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
amonamarthmetal

Quote:

Woah, you can see sounds? I'll have what he's having.
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
Wampler Ego Compressor
ISP Decimator G-string
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:

Don't say ionian and aeolian. There is no reason to use those names.

Sharing the same notes does not mean they are the same. Sure, they look the same on the fretboard, but they are not the same musically.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
satrionic1
mentally disturbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy 1337
Just because they share same notes, doesn't mean they're the same scale. They function totally differently.

i know how they function, as i've explained it in the previous post. since the word scale means a set of notes they cud be called the same scale. they're just built differently, having different roots and tonalities. but they are the same ****ing scale and i really dont know whys everyone crying about it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

The first song sounds like G major. The second one is in G# minor.

Just listen to the song. You should hear the resolution. Which of the chords feels like "home"? That's your tonic.

And why the first one is in G major and not in E minor? IMO overall it sounds more like G major but the C minor chord in the chorus is what really makes it sound like G major and not like E minor. Using the iv chord borrowed from the parallel minor is really usual in a major song and it has a strong pull back to the tonic. Also the verse is a ii-V-I.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
i know how they function, as i've explained it in the previous post. since the word scale means a set of notes they cud be called the same scale. they're just built differently, having different roots and tonalities. but they are the same ****ing scale and i really dont know whys everyone crying about it.

are eb and d# the same thing
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
HotspurJr

Quote:

Yes, I'm going to argue with you.

Because just because two scales have the same notes doesn't mean that they're the same scale.

Each note - not just the root - functions differently. If you understood the concept of note function at all you would know this.

They are not the same scale. They are relative scales. "Relative" is the word that means "they have the same notes."
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Its better understood in keys. Because the rhythm determines the key.

because when your playing the scales over a key. E minor or G major, They are 1 or the other. altho your playing both patterns everywhere. Its better understood as which key your playing in.

because enharmonic's are the same , But different.

Ill be honest if you called them the same I wouldn't argue. If you called them different I wouldn't argue. Its nothing to make a big deal about.

Sometimes these things can be confusing because they are called by different names with the same note. and it makes it really hard to understand how 12 notes can turn into 14 or more on paper.

a interval lesson will include all the intervals with the enharmonic separated? How dumb as if the chromatic scale is in context of a diatonic piece.

I consider D# and Eb the same, because they are. side by side what have you to compare to them now? nothing but 1 tone. Its not till you put them into a scale. and then into a musical piece that they function differently.

labeling scales as modal names is alright under the assumption its a easy way to learn different scale patterns. but in the end it just gives you a firm placement of the major and minor scales along the fretboard.

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: