Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Glimpsed.AM

Got a bit of an issue here. Need input!

Hi everyone, so today is December 2nd, and my band has a show on the 14th. I wanted to get my guitar set up and whatnot, but I also wanted to get a tremol-no.

So, if I ordered a tremol-no right now, paid for next day shipping and took my guitar to my local guitar shop to get set up as soon as it arrived, would that be a good idea? Would you guys do it, or should I just wait til after the show? It shouldn't take 2 weeks should it? I mean... My local shop isn't THAT busy.
Glimpsed.AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

What kind of guitar is it, and what trem system does it have on it?

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Glimpsed.AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
What kind of guitar is it, and what trem system does it have on it?

Oh crap, sorry about that haha. Forgot to put that in there.

I have a Jackson DX10D 6 string. I took the crappy Jackson trem out and had an OFR installed.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Honestly, installing a Tremol-no is about as easy as changing the strings. You shouldn't need to take it to a tech. Watch a couple videos on how to install it, and you should be set.

EDIT: If you need your tech to setup your guitar, just ask if he can throw the thing in there while he has got the backplate and everything off.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5

Last edited by cdr_salamander : 12-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

It's two screws and 1 adjustment. Doesn't get easier.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Glimpsed.AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
Honestly, installing a Tremol-no is about as easy as changing the strings. You shouldn't need to take it to a tech. Watch a couple videos on how to install it, and you should be set.

EDIT: If you need your tech to setup your guitar, just ask if he can throw the thing in there while he has got the backplate and everything off.

That's actually what I was thinking. I have no trouble installing a tremol-no, but since I play in Drop B and a few other tunings, adjusting the bridge to the tunings always got me, I could get the bridge almost perfectly even. but one or two strings always sounded a little off. so when I got my 7 string done, I did the same thing, brought the tremol-no and had the whole guitar set up.

Last edited by Glimpsed.AM : 12-03-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

A noob can install a Tremol-No in five minutes. There's even a YouTube video from the company showing you how to do it. There is really no reason to pay a tech to do it, unless you feel the need to have your guitar's action set up afterwards. It really is nothing more than two screws, stick the ground wire on (you don't even have to solder it) and re-install the springs. Easy-Peasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If you can't set up your guitar's action it's time to learn how. Being able to set up your instrument is all part of the craft.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
cheapr2keepr

It was an easy install on my BC Rich ASM standard. I also increased the spring tension slightly so that the bridge wouldn't lift when I did a bend. I still get whammy dives, but tuning is stable and I can get more pitch shift for a given amount of bend.

It should be easy for a shop, and easy for you too. But you are taking a chance messing with your gear shortly before a show. Make sure you have adequate time to develop a contingency plan in case something goes wrong.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
KrymsinViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
If you can't set up your guitar's action it's time to learn how. Being able to set up your instrument is all part of the craft.

I'd agree if he didn't have a show soon. Wouldn't want to get your stuff out of whack before you need it to perform. I'd learn sometime when you don't have a show emminant and/or you have a spare guitar to learn it on.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
ragingkitty
meow?

A Tremol-no takes 10 minutes to setup! Its practically effortless, don't waste your money on a tech, you'll probably do a better job than they will.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Glimpsed.AM

Looks like it doesn't matter haha. All the websites have the pin-type tremol-no out of stock and won't get them in til the 21st or later. Guess I'll just send my guitar to get intonated first, then I'll install the tremol-no myself later.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Not to threadjack, but does the tremol-no have any tonal benefits? I just have 5 trem springs on my Strat. I've read about Strats having some "boing" from the springs, and I can kind of hear it.
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
Glimpsed.AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
Not to threadjack, but does the tremol-no have any tonal benefits? I just have 5 trem springs on my Strat. I've read about Strats having some "boing" from the springs, and I can kind of hear it.

Can't say I've ever met anyone with more than 3-4 springs in their guitar, I had 4 once and no matter how I adjusted it, it either made the tension too high on the strings or the trem bar was just too difficult to push/pull for my liking.

I haven't heard of the tremol-no having any tonal benefits though. However, when I first got my 6 string Jackson (My Loomis sig never made any noise that I could hear) the springs made the same noise you are referring to, but over the years, that noise has gone away. Maybe it's just that they have to be "broken in" or something? It may also be because you have 5 springs in your guitar... Both my 6 and 7 strings have 3 springs only, and most of my band mates/friends don't have more than 3 springs in any of their guitars.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Using 5 strings keeps the bridge from moving at all. When you say they only used 3 or 4, did anybody use their tremolo arm?
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: