Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Caaarrl94

Vox VT20+ owners - I need you.

I'm looking at buying a new amp, and was originally planning on getting a small tube amp with a multi effects unit.
i wasn't going to get a modelling amp because of the whole modelling being modelled. haha
But i've heard that the vox can be put into a manual mode?
meaning all effects and presets/amp models would be bypassed, and only the raw sound of the amp is left.

Is this true?

Also if this is true, would it mean it would more the happily accept a multi effects pedal?

Last edited by Caaarrl94 : 10-25-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Caaarrl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Just buy one. You can scrutinize any amp to death but in the end, you're talking about a $150 amp...just buy it
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
katalyzt13

don't buy the VT20+ if you don't want a modeling amp. If you don't want a modeling amp, then the VT20+ isn't a bad choice.
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Caaarrl94

i'd like a modelling amp because of how great they are for practicing, no need for pedals and stuff.
but i'd like to bypass all the modelling if i choose to use pedals with it
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Sampy

Manual mode just means that you aren't using a saved preset. As far as I am aware there is no way to bypass the modelling.

Also, most pedals should sound fine with the modelling on.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Caaarrl94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampy
Manual mode just means that you aren't using a saved preset. As far as I am aware there is no way to bypass the modelling.

Also, most pedals should sound fine with the modelling on.

I think i just heard manual mode and presumed that's what it was.
would it act as a normal amp if i just chose the cleanest model with no effects?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Unholy.Daemon
Call Me Jamie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caaarrl94
I think i just heard manual mode and presumed that's what it was.
would it act as a normal amp if i just chose the cleanest model with no effects?

yeah that'd be fine, i used to do it when i was using my friend's VT20, sounded exactly like my pedal always does

Current Gear;
Jackson RR3
Fender MIM Tele
Randall RH50T
Marshall 1960AV (Celestion V30's)
Unholy.Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
kolenik
bithcez love pedalz

Pedals work quite good with VT30, so I see no reason why they wouldn't work with VT20.
kolenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

One of the clean modes in the VT series is just that - clean, with no modelling applied. That one will take pedals OK.

Be wary about using pedals with the modeled channels though - depending on the pedal/model, the modelling can override the pedal and make some fairly awful sounds.

If you're selective you can be OK, but modelling amps are mostly designed to work with their in-built effects rather than pedals, as the in-built effects would be placed at the appropriate point in the chain, whereas pedals have to be placed before the amp.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

You're making a big fuss about nothing. The amp models are designed to respond like an actual amp - and that includes pedals.
They're not as dynamic and responsive as a good tube amp, normally, but if you turn off the extra effects (and cabinet emulation) they still very much feel like a real amp

I tend to turn off cab modelling on the Line6s I've owned, it definitely makes it feel more realistic.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: