Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Knackworst1

Singing improvements / Wonderwall/Wagon wheel cover

Hello everyone

First of all I want to thank you for helping me out on my singing on my first thread.
So basically I took 2 private lessons singing in order to become good enough to sing live at my school in 2 months.

So here are two demos:

https://soundcloud.com/user83846691.../untitled-11-13

NOTE:
- because of my stupid iPod sometimes there are parts missing, you will notice it, just ignore it...

- In the second demo the guitar comes out overwhelming, It's because I couldn't hear what I was recording, and I have no time to re-record. So I placed the guitar to close to the microphone...

- There are some pitchy spots, I know.

So please tell me if you like it, if the tone is good, power is good and how it just sounds...

Thanks in advance

C4C
Knackworst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackworst1
- In the second demo the guitar comes out overwhelming, It's because I couldn't hear what I was recording, and I have no time to re-record.

What's the urgency? Why are you asking us to evaluate you based on something that you can't be bothered to record decently?

Since you know you're pitchy, why are you asking us to listen to something where the recording cuts in and out making it impossible for us to evaluate how you handle longer lines, how you build and develop?

You were so damn lazy here that it makes me want to end my post here. I'm not sure why I'm continuing, but here goes anyway:

When YOU Listen to this, what do YOU hear?

Honestly, there are times when you sound drunk here. That's not a good thing. The best case scenario here is that you're trying to copy the timbre of the other singers (rather than creating good tone) and it's making you sound like you've got half a bottle of jack on top of a speech impediment.

The most important thing you can do is a young singer is stop trying to sound like other people, and instead focus on fundamentals. I think people do what you do here because they don't know how to listen for things like good pitch and tone so their brain latches onto timbre.

But in this case it's an unmitigated disaster. Might you be capable of being a good singer? Sure. But who the hell could tell from this?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Knackworst1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
What's the urgency? Why are you asking us to evaluate you based on something that you can't be bothered to record decently?

I cannot record anything decently, since I don't have the right equipment, a simple microphone that I plug into my iPod is the only thing I have to record with. And it is a true pain in the ass. It sometimes takes 30 minutes to get it working...

Quote:
Since you know you're pitchy, why are you asking us to listen to something where the recording cuts in and out making it impossible for us to evaluate how you handle longer lines, how you build and develop?

Same problem, the microphone does not work properly.

Sounding drunk, well to me it never sounded drunk, just some times a bit nonchalant. But drunk?

So why the hurry? well because I have no choice... It has to go fast because I have to perfrom in 2 months... But ok I'll wait for a better recording, I can go to my friend and record it there with better quality
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
HotspurJr

What I'm saying is that if you want to be a professional, act like one.

Put some care and effort into what you're doing. Having the thing cut out every few seconds is amateur hour b.s. You owe it to yourself to do better.

And you ignored one key question. I ask this every time somebody asks for advice about themselves singing, and for some reason nobody ever answers it:

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Knackworst1

Quote:

Ok then I'll be the first one to answer it...

So:

Pitch is overally pretty good, just some pitchy spots where the notes go to high, but I can practice getting comfortable in that zone
Power and intonation is not bad either
Just sometimes it does sound 'drunk' or whatever, that's true...
So in overall I guess it just need some work, and maybe a little bit more patience on making a good recording, before posting one whitout really listning to it too judge if it's good enough...
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
HotspurJr

The most important skill a musician can have - ANY musician, not just a signer - is to listen to themselves and really hear what they're doing.

If you can do that, you can eventually reach your potential as an artist. If you can't, you never will.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Knackworst1

Yes but you cannot do it all on your own... you need some feedback from other people to encourage, or discourage you, especially in this beginner stadium... that's how I think about it
Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
dorablesings

First I'm going to agree with both Hotspur and you. Hotspur is right that you do have to be able to listen objectively, but sometimes that's difficult when you don't yet know WHAT you should be listening for. And, personally I sometimes find that I get so used to how I sound that I can't hear (if that makes sense to anyone else).

Now on to the the critique. You need to work on balance, the guitar was overpowering the vocals (not just in the second demo). Part of that can be blamed on mic placement (believe me I have total sympathy in regards to cheap recording gear), but that just means you need to work that much harder at controlling your playing and projecting your voice.

The other issue is your enunciation was terrible. Your words were slurred to the point that at times I wasn't even 100% certain you were singing in English. All words have a distinct beginning and end. IfIwroteasentencelikethisyoucan'treallyreadit. But when the words are properly spaced they become understandable. This will also allow you to create phrases and breathe (which will help your singing).

Keep at it though, you are making progress.
dorablesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Knackworst1

Thanks

For the words, you're right, it's a problem but English is not my first language ( you could probably tell) so I cannot crit myself on that, to you the words sound extremely different than what I hear...

Will make a better recordingsoon with some medium-high end equipment.

Rate This Thread: