Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Traynor YBA-1A

have an opportunity to trade my 06' MIM tele for a traynor YBA-1A head.

All I know about this head as of right now, is that it's a 70's model, 45watt head, based off of plexi like the JTM45. I'm still waiting to get some more details from the owner.

I've been in the market for an amp head that I could use with my band live. I was thinking of boosting this thing with an od, and use it for my lead tones, and if I have to, a/b it with my coupe for cleans.

Does anyone here own one of these, or have any experience with them? Would this be a good trade for my tele? I like my tele, but I don't use it much. I would rather have another amp then the tele.

Also, I haven't really been able to find a price on this amp. I've been seeing between $200-500 CAD. Is this accurate?
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run

The bassmaster is a killer amp. If you can part with your guitar, it's an awesome investment. I've watched the price of most traynors slowly creep up over the last few years. People are catching on to how good of an amp they really are.

They're built solid and are open to a ton of different mods. It takes a bit of volume for it to break up for most rock applications, but the good news is that it takes pedals extremely well.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Jhachey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

They're loud, loud amps. Very Marshall sounding but a little bit more on the cleaner side I want to say. When you don't jumper them, they only start breaking up at around 7 on the volume knob

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
They're loud, loud amps. Very Marshall sounding but a little bit more on the cleaner side I want to say. When you don't jumper them, they only start breaking up at around 7 on the volume knob

That's crazy.

I thought it was 45watts, but after doing a little more reseach, I've found out its actually 90!

What do you mean by jumper? Do you mean run both imputs at once with a jumper cable?

If I used my zw-44 infront of this, do you think I could get a deacent drive out of it?
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
Old 11-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

getcha a volume box off ebay for it
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonpardy
That's crazy.

I thought it was 45watts, but after doing a little more reseach, I've found out its actually 90!

What do you mean by jumper? Do you mean run both imputs at once with a jumper cable?

If I used my zw-44 infront of this, do you think I could get a deacent drive out of it?

Yeah I mean joining the treble channels low input with the normal channels high output. You then plug into the high output of the treble channel. IIRC the Bassmasters are more Bassman than JTM-45 but it can vary. The circuit changes from year to year.

I actually did boost the amp with a Wylde Overdrive. You can get like a classic rock kind of tone with it when you crank it up loud but anything other than higher volume levels will be clean. It takes dirt pedals pretty well though so you could get away using an OD at lower volumes. It probably won't get you into any metal territory though.

I would probably think you would need an attenuator if you want some crunch.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Okay... sorry guys, but I'm a complete idiot!

I misread the email that I got from the guy with the amp. It IS a YBA-1, not a YBA-1A.

So I guess it is the 45watt version, which to be honest, I think I would rather over the 90watt! Although, the 90watt would be cool to have so I could hook it up to my fender 4x10, and rock out some bass

Is there a noticeable difference bettween the breakup on the 45watt compared to the 90watt version? I would imagine the 90watt would have much more headroom.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115

Rate This Thread: