Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Denyam

Basic Tube Preamp

Hello!

Can anybody suggest me some guitar preamp models satisfying following requirements:
  • All-tube or hybrid
  • Single-channel
  • DI and headphones output

Thank you all.
Denyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

What type of sound are you after?

ENGL makes a cheapish one that also has a 1.5w power amp. E530 or something.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Denyam

I want the sound to be something similar to John Du Cann's on earlier Atomic Rooster records.

I need a tool that I can use for practicing and recording in home studio, when I don't need instant sound changes that I can achieve having multiple preamp channels. Hence the wish for a single-channel preamp, also I thought it would be cheaper. And I won't do professional recording with it.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyam
I want the sound to be something similar to John Du Cann's on earlier Atomic Rooster records.

I need a tool that I can use for practicing and recording in home studio, when I don't need instant sound changes that I can achieve having multiple preamp channels. Hence the wish for a single-channel preamp, also I thought it would be cheaper. And I won't do professional recording with it.

there are a number of tube preamps out there, but most will be a rack unit. if you just want something small for practicing, then you can get a portable solution like a Korg Pandora.

it's not tube, it is not strictly single channel, but it does have the I/O and it's very portable and ready to be plugged into some computer speakers or headphones.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Denyam

What can you say about Mesa Boogie V-Twin?
Have anybody here used it?
What can you say about getting from it the 60's overdrive sound?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

Why not a digital processor along the lined of a POD HD?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Denyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
Why not a digital processor along the lined of a POD HD?

I somehow have a prejudice against the digital processing.
Can I achieve with it the same sound quality as with analogue processing for the comparable price?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
woad_yurt

I have a Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic 200 tube preamp ($40 new with one 12AX7.) It's not a heavy gain thing so I don't know why the "Ultragain." It does, however, give any amp, whether a solid state or a tube at low volume, a nice tube edginess. It's got a bunch of settings but I just leave it on the neutral channel. I think the thing's a godsend for quieter times. When used with my Crate Powerblock, it sounds great.* I'd gig with it, easy. I have nothing but positives to say about it. It doesn't have a headphone jack, though.

* I'm a hardore cranked-tubes person who uses no pedals and this passes muster, easy. It really does sound great. It made a guy's solid State Randall head sound pretty decent, too, so I don't think it'd be great for only a Powerblock.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 03-10-2013 at 08:24 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: