Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #21
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Run the amp totally 'flat' (EQ section maxed out, gain on 0). You may find you want to roll the treble control back a little bit, depends on the amp and volume you're playing at. That gives you the best possible platform (note: still a shit platform) for whatever pedals you use.

The Blackstar HT-DUAL will be your best bet if you want one pedal to give you all your main tones. There's nothing fancy but it gives you the choice of a couple of different distortions and they do sound pretty good, or at least good enough.
The DigiTech HardWire pedals are also worth a look; the SC-2 will be your best bet for a simple distortion and it's got two modes (must switch by hand) so you've got some variety.

Stay away from 'metal' distortions, because those tend to be just the same as a regular distortion but with more noise for no good reason. Fuzz and overdrives also aren't really what you want; a fuzz into a solid state is fine if you're copying Prince but not too great for anything else and overdrive pedals are intended to provide a boost to already-distorting valve amps.

Using a unit like a POD is also worth checking out if you want to get additional effects like delay and chorus in there. If plain distortion is all you're after then a dedicated distortion pedal is a better option.

Regarding the amp thing, take a look at the Line 6 DT25 1x12" combo. It's just loud enough to play (small) gigs with and most importantly it's relatively compact and light compared to other amps of a similar nature. It's got a fair few options too so you can tweak the tone to your taste more than just the usual bass/middle/treble controls. I also like Fender's hot rodded amp series, as far as smaller-than-most combos amps go. If you can't transport a smaller-than-usual 1x12" then god knows what you expect to do when it comes to playing shows.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
Trecion

I just have no way to take an amp with me. I travel by bike and bus and there us no storage room in or near the rehearsel room.

The only thing, ampwise, i could do is getting a orange dual terror as it would fit in a backpack.
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Trecion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
harrisonatsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trecion
I just have no way to take an amp with me. I travel by bike and bus and there us no storage room in or near the rehearsel room.

The only thing, ampwise, i could do is getting a orange dual terror as it would fit in a backpack.

Seeing as Take Off Your Colours era You Me At Six were big Orange users, that may actually e the best option for you, I don't think you'd even need the dual terror, just get the normal tiny terror and a tubescreamer/tubescreamer clone and you'll be set
harrisonatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #24
Trecion

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonatsix
Seeing as Take Off Your Colours era You Me At Six were big Orange users, that may actually e the best option for you, I don't think you'd even need the dual terror, just get the normal tiny terror and a tubescreamer/tubescreamer clone and you'll be set

I'm afraid that i'd be missing the clean channel. We don't have a lot of cleans in our songs but seeing as my guitar already is loaded with emg's i might have trouble with getting a clean by rolling back my volume.
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Trecion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #25
Mybleedinglung8
UG's bad 80's music fan

AMT make great sounding distortions, and this one - http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_oe_1.htm is supposed to emulate an Orange. And this one has a full eq too - http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_o_2.htm

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Mybleedinglung8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #26
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trecion
I'm afraid that i'd be missing the clean channel. We don't have a lot of cleans in our songs but seeing as my guitar already is loaded with emg's i might have trouble with getting a clean by rolling back my volume.

Getting clean tones by rolling back is easiest with the highest and lowest output pickups. Lowest because it's so fast to travel from normal output to almost no output and highest because they have such a huge range, allowing you to set the gain lower to get the same level of maximum distortion.

If you crank the gain all the way up with high-output pickups then yes, you won't be able to roll the volume control (an output control, really) back to get a cleaner sound. BUu that also goes for low or medium output pickups. If you set the gain in the middle or just below that, though, a high output pickup will still push the amp into quite heavy distortion while rolling back the volume (output) will give you a clean tone as the amp isn't compressing everything as much.

I say this as someone who's used every mix of high output pickups with single-channel low-gain amps, low output pickups with multi-channel high-gain amps and whatever other combination you can name, you easily can get a clean tone out of a Terror using active pickups.

That said, regular Terrors are only 15 watts. They're loud enough for practice, but for a gig the only way you can get them loud enough is to really crank the volume and then you'll get just as much compression as if you had the gain jacked up. A Dual Terror is 30 watts, which should give you enough headroom to play at gig volumes without issue. But of course, then the problem is that the Dual is larger.

Realistically, if there really is no way for you to transport even a small 1x12" around (nobody has a car? Parents with a car?), your best bet is the distortion route. As I said, try runing the amp (whatever the hell it is) with a flat EQ and spend the extra money for a nice, professional-quality distortion unit, rather than a more common one. Again, the HardWire SC-2 and Blackstar HT-DUAL would be my picks, since they both give you a couple more options and are very solidly built.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
dlowe102

I would use a multi fx but if you just want a pedal to put into your pocket riding your bike I would use a black13 from digitech.
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: