Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
Doomball

Regarding practising speed: I've seen some people say that staying on a very slow speed, without gradually increasing the speed, is a good way to learn. It sounds good for practising muscle memory, but would it not be hard to play it fast later on if that was the only way to practice?
Doomball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomball
Regarding practising speed: I've seen some people say that staying on a very slow speed, without gradually increasing the speed, is a good way to learn. It sounds good for practising muscle memory, but would it not be hard to play it fast later on if that was the only way to practice?

Slow and fast are relative terms.Precision on the other hand isnt though....So practise as fast as you can but without making mistakes.The whole point is to not to send mixed signals to your nervous system.You have to train it to respond in a certain way and that requires repetitions without mistakes.Speed is the byproduct of accuracy...end of story .
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
Slow and fast are relative terms.Precision on the other hand isnt though....So practise as fast as you can but without making mistakes.The whole point is to not to send mixed signals to your nervous system.You have to train it to respond in a certain way and that requires repetitions without mistakes.Speed is the byproduct of accuracy...end of story .

However you DO have to develop muscles too that enable you to play fast in the first place. They do not get workout by doing stuff slow all the time.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #24
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
However you DO have to develop muscles too that enable you to play fast in the first place. They do not get workout by doing stuff slow all the time.

Read carefully what i wrote...i said...play as fast as you can play without mistakes.And i say as fast, cause speed is a relative term.I didnt say play slow or play fast cause for me that sentence is incomplete.

As far as the muscles that you have to develop that is not relative to the speed of your repetitions....Those who play at the speed of light ll tell you that you really dont move a lot when playing fast or use strength of any kind.Its all about economy of motion and finger independence...your fingers arent moving faster than those of a total begginer but more efficiently and that gives you the speed ....
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
Read carefully what i wrote...i said...play as fast as you can play without mistakes.And i say as fast, cause speed is a relative term.I didnt say play slow or play fast cause for me that sentence is incomplete.

As far as the muscles that you have to develop that is not relative to the speed of your repetitions....Those who play at the speed of light ll tell you that you really dont move a lot when playing fast or use strength of any kind.Its all about economy of motion and finger independence...your fingers arent moving faster than those of a total begginer but more efficiently and that gives you the speed ....

Oh errr my bad. I get what you are saying.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus

You don't really, we're not doing weights here.

Being able to play well, and ultimately quickly, comes down to control not strength. The better you can control your fingers the more efficient you'll be in your movements and THAT'S where the real gains lie as far as being able to play faster, strength has nothing to do with it.

Going back to the matter in hand i reckon Highway to Hell in a week is feasible, it's the first solo I learned and I picked it specifically because it wasn't that long, wasn't that fast and wasn't that complicated. It falls nicely into a few sections that each fit into a different part of the fretboard so you only really need to change hand position a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
You don't really, we're not doing weights here.

Being able to play well, and ultimately quickly, comes down to control not strength. The better you can control your fingers the more efficient you'll be in your movements and THAT'S where the real gains lie as far as being able to play faster, strength has nothing to do with it.

With strength I do not mean it in weight lifting sense, raw power. We dont want muscle mass. But it is muscles that do the moving and they do have to be capable of doing so relaxed. There is also stamina. No matter how relaxed you are the muscles will get tired from constant motion. I have hard time believing it all comes from control.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-24-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i think "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is somewhat applicable since we're talking about practicing slowly. playing fast generally shouldn't feel like a struggle for speed if you're doing it well.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
RR24Metul

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
I honestly think that's crappy advice.

Speed is irrelevant here as it's not the issue. The issue is being able to play it correctly, and the only way you can do that is by starting slow and building gradually. Playing fast and incorrectly isn't going to benefit you in any way, it's just a waste of valuable practice time. You might think that's it' somehow made things easier but any percieved benefit is just a placebo effect.

I can tell you from personal experience it is not "crappy advice" Speed IS relevant. He can play the solo accurately at a slower tempo, he's practiced like that before... he stated that. Sitting there and waiting to gradually build the speed does not always work. Again, I know from personal experience. It's about getting your mind and hands used to playing at something you're not comfortable with yet.
RR24Metul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #30
Violet Heart

I had to do that same exact thing few years ago for a cover band,
Honestly unless you're used to playing live you're gonna probably be nervous as hell so my advice would be take tidbits from the original solo but then make it your own and use licks you already can play well, most licks in A minor pentatonic shape are gonna sound great with it. With your time frame of only a week, would you rather go onstage and screw up trying to play something that's not ready or make it sound good with what things you already know. Then after the performance keep hammering away at getting it right if you want. Most people aren't gonna care if it's the exact solo they are just gonna notice if you rock it or not.
Violet Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #31
Violet Heart

i've found that most times i don't get faster just by simply playing slowly many times, I have to play slowly but consiously being aware of what my fingers are doing are they moving away from the neck more than they need to, am i relaxed or using unnecessary tension. Hope it helps and good luck at your performance!
Violet Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #32
Withorwithout

Concentrate on making the sounds good and clean on every note, not on the speed. Speed will come once you master the dynamics cleanly.
Withorwithout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #33
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Well, sometimes it's good to some bursts of playing fast when practicing slow all the time, to get some sort of shock effect, if that makes any sense. I believe vai said that once, not too sure.

Also, if you want to play something performance-level, it would be even better to be able to play the song even a little faster than the original speed, say 102% or something like that. When you actually perform the song at the normal 100% it will be a piece of cake every single time. Stole that from someone else, too.

Rate This Thread: