Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
mariposa2210

Bla-bla-bla New Tuning Machines, Buzz on all strings, Help!!

Hello guys,

While changing strings for my electric guitar i noticed one of the tuning machines starting to break. I checked all the tuning machines and one is in a pretty bad shape.

I decided to buy a new set of tuning machines and installed it in the guitar. After that i had a lot of buzz on the strings especially the Low E and especially in the A string. My guitar is a Squire Telecaster. I had the fretboard changed around two years ago into one with a zero fret. I also noticed some small dents on the zero fret. Before i changed the tuning machines i already noticed a little buzz if i play the open A string.

could the buzz be caused by the new tuning machines or is it because of the dents on the zero fret.

thank you very much for your help
mariposa2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Is the height of the tuning keys any different? There needs to be a proper angle of the nut. Did you mess with the string T's?

Last edited by R45VT : 11-19-2012 at 05:34 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
mariposa2210

hi R45VT,

i checked it with a Caliper and yeah they are almost the same height with just an mm in difference. The other Tuning machines are still ok, im thinking of maybe putting the old ones back.

my guitar only has a string T for the high E and B strings. they too are starting to buzz. and i noticed my guitar is out of tune also...

oh God im really getting depressed..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
ikey_

well perhaps it amplified any existing issues with the guitar such as worn frets. how are all your frets?

did you change string size? and how about climate? maybe you need a slight truss change.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
mariposa2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
well perhaps it amplified any existing issues with the guitar such as worn frets. how are all your frets?

did you change string size? and how about climate? maybe you need a slight truss change.

thanks ikey,

i live in a tropical country so the weather conditions dont change much. i havnt touched my truss rod for the past 4 years

i used .009 super slinky ernie ball, then after i change new strings (.009 but d adario) with the new tuning machine, it got worse. My guitar has a Zero fret. a luthier changed the fingerboard and frets when i had it repaired. i noticed some dents on the zero fret. after i changed strings i noticed the guitar is not tuned very well now. and the A string's amplitude when vibrating is very large compared to the other strings (im not sure if amplitude is the correct term :P)

im a little doubtful to have the guitar checked in a guitar shop because there are very few knowledgeable people when it comes to guitar here in our place . third-world problems i guess

Rate This Thread: