Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
RancidRock

Practice help

Help plox
I've been playing guitar for a year and I'm getting into a bit of a rut, I want to play with other people but live in the middle of nowhere.
I can play
>Major, Minor and Pentatonic Scales
>Open and barre chords
>Blues rhythm and lead
>Some basic funk
>Tiny amount of finger picking (Don't enjoy it very much)
>Just starting with alternate picking but it's tedious
What can I learn that is new, please help and also how do all of you practice your guitar playing skills
RancidRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Do you know all those scales in all positions?

So, can you play them from any root from any position anywhere on the neck? Not just in one 'box'. Do you mean Major scale and Aoelian? What minor scale?

You should really have been practicing alternate picking from the start, do it every single time now, if you notice that you are not then stop, start over and condition yourself to play correctly.

Do you know theory? You should learn some theory, the good thing about it is that once you've got over the first few hurdles it kinda gets easier because you build on top of what you have. It helps massively.

I was in a position a few years ago where I felt the same but now I feel that I'm progressing every day. Theory helped me along, it helped me understand what I was doing, I felt in control.

Learn songs that challenge you, slow it down so you always play clean.

The best advice I can give is to get a teacher. You really will get the best advice from someone who can analyse your level and tell you what you need to do to get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 07-04-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
RancidRock

Thanks for the advice man! I'm very busy so getting a teacher might be quite hard, I will look into it! As for theory I know quite a bit for someone who is self taught for 1 year, I know my root notes, when to use what chord, i.e 7th 9th or 13th chords. I know octaves, natural harmonics, tapped harmonics and a lot more that just isn't coming to mind right now
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I don't follow what you mean on using the right chords, do you mean on terms of arpeggios? You use the chords that you're supposed to in the song right?

Do you know the scales in all positions, from all roots, in all keys, are you good with intervals etc?

Check out www.justinguitar.com it's quite good for those with no time for teachers.

Quote:

Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
RancidRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I don't follow what you mean on using the right chords, do you mean on terms of arpeggios? You use the chords that you're supposed to in the song right?

Do you know the scales in all positions, from all roots, in all keys, are you good with intervals etc?

Check out www.justinguitar.com it's quite good for those with no time for teachers.

I use justin's stuff, he is practically my teacher

By right chords I meant that using minor 7ths to get a jazz or blues sound, a minor chords for an emotional song, sorry it's a bit vague
Old 07-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

If you've been playing a year you should concentrate on getting your technique to a good standard and playing clean. That is without hitting other notes when playing the one you want to, getting your bends in pitch, getting good vibrato; Look at B.B. King or Paul Kossoff and how they play vibrato, it may not be your kind of music but that's the right way to do it.

Practice songs that incorporate lots of techniques, something like Sweet Child O' Mine, Hotel California that also have lots of riffs and stuff that you can use etc.

Again, do you know the scales in all positions, from every root? Can you run down those scales across multiple octaves?

Quote:

Rate This Thread: