Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Pregowski92

Recording amp - help

Hi guys. I'm trying to record some demos from home but i'm having trouble getting a sound that to be honest, doesn't sound shit.

I'm currently playing a gretsch mini-humbucker pro jet through a vox ac30, micing it with an sm58 with the circle grill removed, taking it through an audio interface (line6 ux1) then to fl studio for recording, that's my process. Note: i have no experience or any idea on how to record.

The mic is placed on the left speaker about an inch away, just below the middle of the actual vox speaker.

The problem is, what i'm hearing in the room, and what's actually being recorded isn't the same. What's being recorded sounds very thin, as if it's lacking some low/mid end, which isn't lacking from what's coming out of the amp.

My tone is either clean/modulated, or slightly overdriven/fuzzy. Nothing too crazy.

I've read lots of things, i could use another mic, i could try recording in layers etc.

What do you guys think? And if i need to mic it twice, what would you recommend on low budget?

Thanks for reading!
Pregowski92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
chronowarp

Try moving the mic a bit off from the center of the cone. Try doing it on the edge of the speaker cone, off axis (pointing in from a 45 degree angle), maybe 2-3 inches away from the grill.

IF it sounds BAD then start tweaking the amp settings while monitoring the recorded sound. There shouldn't be a huge discrepancy in what you're hearing in the room v. what the mic is picking up.

You probably want to double track it regardless. Record a duplicate take (Don't copy and paste the first one), and try hard panning them in either direction. Change the EQ and possibly the pickup on the 2nd take so that it's a bit different in tone.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

If you have a lack of low end, try moving it closer to the speaker itself, closer than an inch if possible. Also try moving it further away from the centre of the cone, but not away from the speaker itself.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

All of the above, but also if it's low end you're lacking then the mic could be part of the problem as well. Dynamic mic's can good for mic'ing amps, but they accentuate the mids. If you want to pick up the full frequency range, a decent LDC could be in order.

Also bear in mind that the interface you're using isn't a highly recommended one. You'll get better results with a better interface. I know you say you're new to recording, but it just seems a shame to have such an excellent amp & guitar and record them using sub-standard equipment (I'm assuming you mean the Electromatic version if it's mini-humbuckers? I have the same one )

The final part of the problem could simply be your monitoring system. If you're using poor headphones/speakers, even a good recording will sound poor.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab

Last edited by GaryBillington : 01-30-2013 at 05:22 AM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: