Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
stiklyman
blaqk as nite

Can I get any tips with my alternate picking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLg...eature=youtu.be
I recorded this a few months ago, but it doesn't feel like I'm progressing very much. Is my technique wrong or do I just have to push through this period so I can get to a faster speed? I can play it in 16th note triplets at about 116 BPM now.
stiklyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
awesomo41894

For me it was hard to judge ur technique by that video (The angle and the shortness of it) HOWEVER I think it sounds good so far. How long have u been playing? Never try and rush, there is no real hurry. It takes a good bit of time to get great at Alternate picking, and in that video your playing was very clean (Which is a huge plus). triplets at 116 arent that bad. Thats pretty fast. however, all u have to do is keep at it, and your speed will increase. It just takes a long time. It took me prolly 2 or 3 years to hit 16th note triplets cleanly around 120. Ive been playing about 6 or so years seriously now, and i can only hit 16th note triplets cleanly around 150 to 160. So i dont think u have anything to worry about, your progress looks good so far. It was super clean.
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

As ever, the answer is to stop pushing for speed; it doesn't mean anything anyway.

You need to play better and stop trying to play faster, make your movements more economical, eliminate all excess tension from your hands and arms, make sure your hands are absolutely synchronised; all that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
Ive been playing about 6 or so years seriously now, and i can only hit 16th note triplets cleanly around 150 to 160.

I find that relatively hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiklyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLg...eature=youtu.be
I recorded this a few months ago, but it doesn't feel like I'm progressing very much. Is my technique wrong or do I just have to push through this period so I can get to a faster speed? I can play it in 16th note triplets at about 116 BPM now.

For speed - practice purely technical exercises. There are thousands of patterns for whole-neck exercises, you can search the internet for them and take any, or create your own.
But, as a shredder, I have learned one painful truth - nobody cares how fast you are.
It's how your playing sounds that matters, be it fast or slow or Buckethead.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 12-31-2012 at 01:54 PM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Nameless742
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As ever, the answer is to stop pushing for speed; it doesn't mean anything anyway.

You need to play better and stop trying to play faster, make your movements more economical, eliminate all excess tension from your hands and arms, make sure your hands are absolutely synchronised; all that stuff.

I find that relatively hard to believe.

Stop beating me to it.

Top tip: Up, down, up, down, up down.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
NightProwlerr

Wasnt that in guitar techniques a couple years back?? It sounded alright to me just keep doing what ur doing
NightProwlerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
stiklyman
blaqk as nite

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I have been playing guitar for 3 years now, but only seriously focusing on technique for the last 6 months or so. I don't believe in playing fast all the time purely for playing fast. I like to use fast lines for a buildup to an ending note. Joe Satriani has a good quote on that, I just can't find it for the life of me right now. And NightProwlerr, I actually got it from a Guitar World magazine a few years back. I just modded it so that instead of being in 5/4 it would be in 4/4 with a half note ending the phrase.
stiklyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: