Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
vyboze

Practising in an apartment

So I'm thinking about taking up electric guitar practise, but I live in an apartment building with not so good sound insulation... If you're silent, you can hear the voice of talking neighbors. They're singing karaoke on friday night, you'll have to suffer it.. You get the idea. Obviously headphones are the only option in this situation, but I don't know how much noise does the guitar make by itself (just the strings snapping and vibrating)? I don't mind if hearing my nooby practise routines amuses people, but I don't want to be stuck with a guitar I can't play because of neighbors making complaints about the noise... Am I overestimating the guitar noise level or should I just go to the basement each time I want to practise?
vyboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The sound of your electric played alone shouldn't bother anyone. Headphones are a good way to go. Perhaps even get an interface and modeling program. I did that during my active army days and it turned out well.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
seljer
UG Resident

A electric guitar without an amplifier is quieter than a TV at a very conservative listeing volume. There shouldn't be any trouble if you're going to be using headphones.
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
butterfingers30

Even if they had their ears against the wall, I doubt they would be able to hear anything. Even if they do hear you, they are getting a free concert!
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
butterfingers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
vyboze

This is a wonderful forum, such quick and informative replies.
Thanks for clearing this up dudes!
vyboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
KrymsinViking

If you can hear them singing karaoke then why not let them hear your amp? As long as you don't crank it obnoxiously and use headphones at considerate times. (Personally I do most my playing in the middle of the night so I play unplugged a lot)
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
dannyalcatraz

I'm a "bedroom" player who also has Border Collies- no cranking it for me!

I use a Korg Pandora* & headphones most of the time when I practice- it's the next best thing. Plus, since it is portable, has a built in tuner, metronome and some Pre-programmed drum rhythms, it lets me get the most out of my practice time.

* there are similar devices available from Line6, Boss, Tascam, etc., and even some apps.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
ron666

I suggest that you use headphones or else you could end up pissing so many tenants off that you could end up being evicted.

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

First off, I'd find out what the noise regulations for your apartment complex are and what the noise laws are for the city you're in. If the apartment has no regulations against noise or musical instruments then just follow the city regulations on noise.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
OliveG

I have a Pod X3 and it sounds awesome. Check it out... you can do either headphones or regular amp or whatever you want with it really. It's an awesome piece of gear. I have a homemade tube amp that sounds really good too, but I find myself going to the Pod most of the time - mostly because I can use headphones and get a beautiful sound out of it in pretty much any situation...
OliveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.

Either use headphones, or buy a Dual Rec full stack and play ****ing loud to avenge yourself from the karaoke.

Since when do you fingerpick?

I ran out of picks last night.
n1ckn1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyboze
So I'm thinking about taking up electric guitar practise, but I live in an apartment building with not so good sound insulation... If you're silent, you can hear the voice of talking neighbors. They're singing karaoke on friday night, you'll have to suffer it.. You get the idea. Obviously headphones are the only option in this situation, but I don't know how much noise does the guitar make by itself (just the strings snapping and vibrating)? I don't mind if hearing my nooby practise routines amuses people, but I don't want to be stuck with a guitar I can't play because of neighbors making complaints about the noise... Am I overestimating the guitar noise level or should I just go to the basement each time I want to practise?

One, your playing is better than their kareoke, I assure you.

rwo, if you must suffer them, then they must suffer you.

have fun
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
kemingt
Barned

playing through headphones doesn't have the same "feel" as playing out loud through your amp. you should probably turn on your amp, just slightly louder than the volume of the guitar playing unplugged. unless you don't mind that weird sterile sound you get while listening to your playing through headphones :P
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
hminh87
Justin here!

The headphone output of normal amps are not so good as compared to letting the speaker roars. If you're so considerate of your inconsiderate neighbor then I recommend you to get a multi-effect unit like a Line6 Pod or Vox Tonelab. They can emulate the cab for you through the headphone jack. Still not quite up there but it's still better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlpanel
One, your playing is better than their kareoke, I assure you

No karaoke can beats guitar playing. Ever! Unless it's Adele on the mike :p

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 : 10-09-2012 at 05:44 AM.
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: