Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Wikstroem

String gauge - low tune

Hi, I just put aside the electric guitar and picked up fingerpicking on my acoustic (dreadnought).
The thing is that I play in C-G-C-G-A#-D# and the guitar got 9-42 strings at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions on string gauge?

I live far away from closest music store and I would like to order stuff that works without having to change strings too many times before I get it right ^^
Wikstroem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

9s are usually electric strings - they're thinner than even acoustic extra lights, which are 10s. standard acoustic lights are 12s. my husband keeps his guitars tuned down to D and doesn't mind the feel using 11s or 12s, but if you're tuning down that low, i'd suggest either 12s if you're used to lighter strings or 13s.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz

I have an Ovation Elite that has been in the very similar New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG) with standard gauge strings. I re-strung it the last time with a standard set of Auroras- probably 11s or 12s.

http://stringsbyaurora.com/our-stri...-guitar-strings

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-16-2013 at 03:54 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I have an Ovation Elite that has been in the very similar New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG) with standard gauge strings. I re-strung it the last time with a standard set of Auroras- probably 11s or 12s.

http://stringsbyaurora.com/our-stri...-guitar-strings
I read your link. Aurora's string gauging and nomenclature seems to, "travel to the beat of a different drum. Granted only by a thousandth here and there.

I use D'Addario's model to define set type and gauge. I think more brands follow their size guidelines than do Aurora's. What Aurora calls, "medium" is actually what D'Addario calls, "light".
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

True, but the point is that the guitar is handling the very similar tuning just fine without using outrageously odd gauges.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
True, but the point is that the guitar is handling the very similar tuning just fine without using outrageously odd gauges.
Yes, and if you want to string with Aurora "medium" gauge strings, you should expect to be asking for"acoustic light", in most other brands.

"Acoustic medium", is generally .013 to .056. My post only goes to classifying what you're buying, not to what you should buy.

I would argue how well you guitar body controls the bass in standard tuning, would dictate what gauge you should use in drop tuning. A "woofie" dreadnought might want the .056 medium E-6 for control. A 24.75 inch scale might like the heavier bottoms also.

My own personal experience with Ovation deep bowl guitars is they're not particularly bassy. But the bottom is tighter than a dread.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
Wikstroem

Thanks for all the answers.
I'll be ordering a few sets of strings now, going to try 11s, 12s and 13s. The reason I had 9s on it was because I've been playing a lot on the higher frets before and the high tension in the thicker strings made my fingers hurt quickly.

And just fyi I'm going to play some of Ewan Dobson's work on a Fender cd140sce
Wikstroem is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: