Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
aaroncaper

plateauing problem

I have a problem, I've horrible plateaued with my playing eg. no longer advancing, getting better. i'm bored with playing.

same "go to" songs to play when I pickup the guitar, same licks when improvising over songs. I feel lost.

I need help with breaking out of this.
when I play my technique is usually straight up pentatonic blues, the odd sweep and some pentatonic shredesque runs.
suggestions would be great.
thanks guys

Compulsive gear buyer
aaroncaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
ch1ng_chung

This will sound pretty stupid, but try going a week and improvising while purposely avoiding any known scale shapes, with just the root note

like, a pentatonic is
5 8
5 7
5 7
on the top strings

a lick could be in the notes
5 7 9
4 6 9
6 8

while playing over an A scale (maj or minor)
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
aaroncaper

I don't follow ;/

Compulsive gear buyer
Old 05-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncaper
I have a problem, I've horrible plateaued with my playing eg. no longer advancing, getting better. i'm bored with playing.

same "go to" songs to play when I pickup the guitar, same licks when improvising over songs. I feel lost.

I need help with breaking out of this.
when I play my technique is usually straight up pentatonic blues, the odd sweep and some pentatonic shredesque runs.
suggestions would be great.
thanks guys

There's your problem. Learn new music. It's so easy to fall into the trap of just noodling around.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

get into more genres.
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Volcz
The Vox Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
This will sound pretty stupid, but try going a week and improvising while purposely avoiding any known scale shapes, with just the root note

like, a pentatonic is
5 8
5 7
5 7
on the top strings

a lick could be in the notes
5 7 9
4 6 9
6 8

while playing over an A scale (maj or minor)

What the f....?

Hey.. it's the same guy who was trying to sell his MG on the forum, convincing everyone that it was the epitome of great guitar amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
aaroncaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by triface
There's your problem. Learn new music. It's so easy to fall into the trap of just noodling around.

could you and/or anyone recommend me stuff based on what I listen to?
SRV, George thorogood, Clapton, ACDC, some a7x, the odd metallica song, some steve earl, leaning towards heavy blues. old green day, old blink 182

Compulsive gear buyer
Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
same licks when improvising over songs

Stop playing, start thinking and listening more. You're letting your fingers do the playing when it should be your mind.

Try this:

Put on a backing track without your guitar in hand and think of a lead to play over it. Try and make sure it's completely independent of what you know you can do on guitar; just think of your ideal piece of music to play over that backing. I can almost guarantee it will be quite different from what you would have played on guitar. Now try and apply that piece of music to the guitar. If you can't do it for whatever reason then you know what you need to work on.

I would also recommend listening to something that takes you entirely out of your normal comfort zone, something that involves lead lines played on a different instrument if possible. Listen to some country/bluegrass, classic jazz, modern jazz fusion, ooooold blues like Robert Johnson, anything different.

Quote:
I don't follow ;/

He's trying to get you to use notes in playing that take you entirely out of what you're used to doing. Choosing notes 100% outside of the scales you normally use. Taking you out of your normal comfort zone like that and still trying to make music should make you think about what you're doing. It's basically what I'm trying to get you to do only a little bit more subtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 05-04-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
aaroncaper

i'll try the "sit down and listen" thinking approach,
as for notes outside of scales are you referring to as like, passing notes and stuff?

Compulsive gear buyer
Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
i'll try the "sit down and listen" thinking approach,
as for notes outside of scales are you referring to as like, passing notes and stuff?

any notes outside of the scale. Scale notes should be hit as little as possible. It's very hard
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #11
Aaronsgrunt

Yeah, I seem to have this problem as well.... :/ Everything I play in E sounds like a messed up metallica song, and anything I play in D sounds to much like Avenged Sevenfold..... -___- They are great bands, but I would love to have my own unique sound. I cant seem to get any better, or play much past the key of Em :/ I hardly know any music theory, or scales to save myself. I have been playing for about 6 or 7 years, and I constantly put myself down, cause I feel I should be better than what I am at this point....
Aaronsgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
any notes outside of the scale. Scale notes should be hit as little as possible. It's very hard

I don't think that's a great idea because you likely end up playing stuff that sounds crap. A passing tone sounds great in context, but will sound out of place without those consonant notes around it.

Zaphod's hit the nail on the head, your idea isn't really going to be all that much help because in essence it's the same problem. If someone keeps using the same notes out of habit then telling them to just use the other notes instead isn't a solution because that still amounts to playing without listening or thinking about things properly. What's important is becoming familiar with the sounds of all the notes and intervals, because if you know what things sound like you can decided how and when to use them. If you don't know what things sound like then you're either relying on muscle memory or stabbing wildly in the dark hoping you find something that fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: