User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
For me listening to Schoenberg is sort of like reading a really unpleasant book or watching a disturbing movie, in that I don't exactly enjoy it but I feel compelled to experience it.

Yeah

At the same time there are plenty of good novels/pieces of music/examples of art which are just as highbrow in what they're trying to do which also manage to be entertaining as well, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
Yes, it is. However, I must mention that all of these distinctions are available for interpretation, I may say "I consider this art", but I may not say "this is art", since, in the absolute sense, I don't consider it as something that exists, it's just a concept.

So, in general, taste IS indeed acquired, and even something that is universally hated, in the global sense, it is still subjective. Myself I don't consider the use of term "art" actually valid, but I find it to be useful with people who do consider it such, just to let them know that I may have more of a preference towards specific styles- if they are interested.

yeah good luck definining what art actually is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
Changing your approach to how you listen can affect your enjoyment of new music a lot.

So basically I learn to stop listening to that voice inside my head which is saying, "This is pretentious BS?"

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
ChucklesMginty
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
So basically I learn to stop listening to that voice inside my head which is saying, "This is pretentious BS?"

The people who make this music are smarter and know more about music and art than I do. They dedicate their lives to doing something incredibly difficult to a very small audience. And I'm just not cynical enough to believe composers would do that if there was no substance to this kind of music and there really is nothing to it.

That's my reasoning.
ChucklesMginty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

If you find it compelling, be compelled.

The 12 note system is not the definition off music, it's merely a translation of certain behavior in the thing we humans perceive as sound.

If you can only experience sound through the 12 note system, then that is perfectly fine and I myself enjoy it the most as off yet.

However, there are millions of variables happening in the changing off a texture in sound.

There's quite some electronic music that delves into this, and some off these people would be better mentioned as sound designers perhaps.

This is something that compels me as well. I have also reached the same levels of excitement with just listening to synthesizers changing timbres to the most complex of sound as I have with traditional music.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xdarrenx

Who's Andy Timmons??

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 10-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
The people who make this music are smarter and know more about music and art than I do. They dedicate their lives to doing something incredibly difficult to a very small audience. And I'm just not cynical enough to believe composers would do that if there was no substance to this kind of music and there really is nothing to it.

That's my reasoning.

I dunno. Maybe. On the other hand I'm pretty darn cynical.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #25
sweetdude3000

Its probably more satisfying on a cerebral level more than the visceral. Much like how a PhD mathematician will solve theorems in some esoteric branch of their field. Just new visions of exploring the sound dimension is satisfying in its own regard. Breaking free of convention. I dunno just a thought.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #26
ChucklesMginty
lol

That too.
ChucklesMginty is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: