Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Staining inlays

So, I'm looking at getting one of these Schecters: http://www.schecterguitars.com/Prod...ck-SLS-C-1.aspx

Problem is, it has a really fugly skull inlay.

So, here's my question: can I stain it black so it blends into the fingerboard a bit? Or do I have any other options?
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
So, I'm looking at getting one of these Schecters: http://www.schecterguitars.com/Prod...ck-SLS-C-1.aspx

Problem is, it has a really fugly skull inlay.

So, here's my question: can I stain it black so it blends into the fingerboard a bit? Or do I have any other options?

Well, that's better than the inlays they put in the Syn Gates guitars

If you never want to sell the guitar, then you can try permanent marker. You might have to reapply it periodically. Depending on how you play and how much your fingers sweat, you might need to reapply daily.

You could also take it to a luthier, have him remove the inlays and fill it with rosewood. It might be a good idea for him to change the shape, too, so you don't end up with a big outline of skull that you didn't like in the first place. Nothing is cheap with a luthier. If it had a bolt-on neck you could possibly just get another neck from Warmoth, but it's set, so that's not really an option.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I would definitely look at older Blackjacks that do not have the skull inlay. There isn't really much you do, except take a marker to it.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
xXBansheeXx
Ubertar Player

Stain wont soak into the inlay, you're going to need some kind of paint. I'd suggest maby some model paint and a small paint brush, get a few different kinds and mix them together to get the exact shade of brown you need, then put it on something to let it dry because it may have a different color wet than dry. Then paint it on. Sharpie was suggested before which will work, but the only color that will really work is black. Brown sharpie ink is transparent like all of their other colored inks it wont hide it very well. Or you could find a paint marker with the exact right color, that might work.
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
xXBansheeXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBansheeXx
Stain wont soak into the inlay, you're going to need some kind of paint. I'd suggest maby some model paint and a small paint brush, get a few different kinds and mix them together to get the exact shade of brown you need, then put it on something to let it dry because it may have a different color wet than dry. Then paint it on. Sharpie was suggested before which will work, but the only color that will really work is black. Brown sharpie ink is transparent like all of their other colored inks it wont hide it very well. Or you could find a paint marker with the exact right color, that might work.

Yeah, I was thinking paint, too, at first, because you could get the best match. But it would also scrape off quickly, muck up the strings, and be harder to refresh. Unless TS doesn't bend much around the 12th and 13th frets.

But Sharpie/other more permanent markers should be good enough if you're just trying to make it less obvious to a live audience.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

leather dye sticks to inlay material pretty well (a lot better than a sharpie/marker)
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Honestly, the SLS C-1 is like every other super-Strat currently being pumped out by countless companies. In fact the only difference between the SLS C-1 an an LTD H-1001 is the inlay, fretboard wood, the Schecter has a second volume control and the LTD has a deeper neck tenon.
If you don't like how the SLS C-1 looks, there are all the other Schecters (many of which are the same in terms of specification), ESP, Washburn, Kramer, Ibanez, Dean, Fernandes, Cort, Tokai and a thousand other MIK super-Strats.

Rate This Thread: