Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
zenbone
King of two things...

1993 MIM strat options...

so, i picked up a cream white MIM strat from 1993. I took it apart and cleaned it up real slick and got it back together without issue. Solid player with all stock fender stuff (tuners, bridge, etc). I put it up on craigslist and only got a few nibbles so now i am thinking about making it into a sick project guitar. What are the best options for pickups? will chicken head knobs fit on the pots? if you had a nice stock blank slate what would YOU do with it? looking for some ideas to make this a one of a kind screamer
zenbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

really depends on what kind of sound you want to go after as far as pickups go.

I'd probably upgrade the electronics (pots,jack,wire,switch,and shielding if needed) , maybe play around with a few different capacitors and see how the guitar responds. Upgrade the nut. Those are just a few generic, and pretty cheap, things that'll make some noticeable difference.

Also locking tuners and strap locks are a must for me, but aren't necessary for everyone.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by scguitarking927 : 02-09-2013 at 10:57 PM.
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Glossy neck? sand that down and make it satin. unless you like it
Locking tuners
Straploks
maybe a new pickguard?
new pups
new more stable bridge
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
zenbone
King of two things...

i am thinking of running the GFS protube lipstick pickups, gonna lay down some nonconductive paint in the cavity when i have it apart.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

First thing i'd do is buy it a new fender original pickguard (they come pre shielded these days), pickups (hit up some of the boutique pickup sellers, you can get some great pickups for less than half of the custom shop models), pots and a 5 way. Pull the old pickguard out and stash it away somewhere (if you ever want to sell it as a bog stock MIM). At the same time shield the cavity with paint or copper tape.

Then if the project wasn't getting to expensive for an MIM upgrade, I'd do the nut, tuners and bridge saddles.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
RebuildIt

Wild wiring! I just did something along the same lines with a cheap strat copy. I swapped two of the single coils for hummies, did a Brian May type of switching, with an enhancement for splitting coils, and added a varitone. There are some pics on my profile of what has happened so far. (there are more changes planned...)
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

Have you had a look at the routing yet? I know my 93 MIA has a swimming pool route, so you might be able to do a humbucker job without too much dicking around.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
zenbone
King of two things...

so far i ordered the pro tube lipstick GFS strat pickup set (the 4.8 / 6 / 8) combo in chrome. Got the stewie mac shielding paint and 2 new .022 uF orange drops caps. on the way via UPS ground. not sure if the conversion makes me need 500k pots (opposed to the standard 250k stock pots that are in it currently)? also when i break it apart for the pickup swap that would be the time to replace the nut but i am of the fence about that one. Not sure of the gains and also heard it can be tough to get them right...

Last edited by zenbone : 02-10-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
zenbone
King of two things...

after working with the GFS crew it seems that their Protubes work best with .047 uf caps and 250 pots. So i grabbed the Orange drop .047 caps and will just use the pots that are in it because they are still smooth.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
zenbone
King of two things...

boxes everywhere... the paint and Orange Drop .047cap came in yesterday, the pickups arrived today. Tomorrow morning i am hitting up radio shack to pick up the kill switch. Found some great wire diagrams to replace the middle tone knob with a killswitch. It wires everything to one tone knob and runs the killswitch between the volume and tone. Gonna do a before and after video to compare sound. details to follow.

Rate This Thread: