Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
CowpokeFromHell
Trained Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
My overdrive channel cut out today. Cause?

So there I was, playing guitar, when suddenly my overdrive channel goes to a very quiet clean. I checked the volume knob on my guitar, thinking maybe I had bumped it. Nope. Then I fiddled with the overdrive knob, and my amp was suddenly functioning normal again!

What gives? Is this a tube problem? Dirty electrical connection? Oh, the amp was a Jet City JCA1000H, and this is the only real problem I've ever encountered with it.

EDIT: I should mention it cut out twice.

EDIT 2: It seems like my drive doesn't exist just before 8. It's not cutting out. It just isn't completely functional. What could be causing this?
__________________
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.

Last edited by CowpokeFromHell : 01-13-2013 at 07:27 PM.
CowpokeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
jaybals
guitarchitect
 
jaybals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: A little town called london
Double check it's not the guitar cable, if you have another lying around.

Otherwise it could be the power tubes on their way out
__________________
Fender Jazzmaster | Hutchins Regal
Cornell Romany Plus


Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

http://www.facebook.com/SpecialBruise
https://soundcloud.com/special-bruise
jaybals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Oldmonkeys
- Also known as Matt
 
Oldmonkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canberra, Australia
may well be an issue with the pot if it fixes itself when you move the knob.
__________________

Gretsch Setzer Hot Rod
Gretsch Power Jet
Fender Tele
Wizard Modern Classic
Vox Lil' Night Train
Hame 2x12



[- "Uncool Aussie" of the Pedalboard Thread -]
Oldmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
in order of first to last:
check your cable
check your guitar's input jack
check the amp's input jack
Are you straight into the amp? If not, check your pedals and cables in between the guitar and amp
clean the pots with contact cleaner
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
CowpokeFromHell
Trained Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
in order of first to last:
check your cable
check your guitar's input jack
check the amp's input jack
Are you straight into the amp? If not, check your pedals and cables in between the guitar and amp
clean the pots with contact cleaner


Cables are fine, Input jack is good on both ends, pedal is fine. The clean channel functioned normally when I switched over. It didn't have any volume loss. If it had been a cable or an input, I don't think the overdrive pot would affect those too much. Also, aren't power tubes supposed to last a while? This amp is hardly a year old and sees minimal use.
__________________
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
CowpokeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowpokeFromHell
Cables are fine, Input jack is good on both ends, pedal is fine. The clean channel functioned normally when I switched over. It didn't have any volume loss. If it had been a cable or an input, I don't think the overdrive pot would affect those too much. Also, aren't power tubes supposed to last a while? This amp is hardly a year old and sees minimal use.


check to make sure all of your tubes are seated properly.

do the "pencil test" you can find it on youtube under that or a similar name.

but typically power tubes last 1-2+ years under heavy usage. i have some amps for five years and the power tubes are fine, and play it frequent and gets transported in the car often. but however they have the possibility to fail just like anything.

anything with a filament can burn out just for no reason, for example (however very different) light bulbs.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
CowpokeFromHell
Trained Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
The pencil test didn't return any bad results. Tubes are seated and functioning normally it seems. The drive channel did not cut out today. It wasn't working properly when I turned it on though. Once again, moving the knob solved the problem. I still feel like the pot is the issue, but I'd rather not rule everything else out right away.

EDIT: It seems like my drive doesn't exist just before 8. It's not cutting out. It just inst completely functional. What could be causing this?
__________________
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.

Last edited by CowpokeFromHell : 01-13-2013 at 07:27 PM.
CowpokeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowpokeFromHell
The pencil test didn't return any bad results. Tubes are seated and functioning normally it seems. The drive channel did not cut out today. It wasn't working properly when I turned it on though. Once again, moving the knob solved the problem. I still feel like the pot is the issue, but I'd rather not rule everything else out right away.

EDIT: It seems like my drive doesn't exist just before 8. It's not cutting out. It just inst completely functional. What could be causing this?

I would think it's a dodgey pot myself, have you tried contact cleaner inside?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
CowpokeFromHell
Trained Professional
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
The problem seems to have stopped. For now, anyways. If it happens again in the future, I will try contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, I'll probably resurrect this thread.

Much appreciated for all your help, guys.
__________________
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
CowpokeFromHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.