Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #17001
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Sounds awesome. I was pretty disappointed when it seemed like they were pulling out of the high end desktop market, and pretty worried what it would mean if Intel were the only one doing chips in that market. If they don't have competition, there's no reason to push for improvements. I was quite impressed with the improvements made with piledriver. Do you think this new update/successor will be steamroller based, or bypass that entirely and go for something new?

Though having said that, with the relatively small advances made with each successive series these days, I think I'll have my 4770k/Maximus VI Formula setup for quite some time. I didn't even need to upgrade from my Lynnfield system, but I wanted a few new parts and figured I should just do a whole new machine while I was at it. (Read: Saw shiny things and wanted them)

Anyway, sounds like there's some interesting stuff coming up. And I know it's been said before, but I love how this thread doesn't degenerate into brand slagging matches like most other tech discussions seem to.
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #17002
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

So, my drummer's wanting to build a decent gaming desktop with my help, but he was thinking about buying parts 1 piece at a time, which I'm not sure about. Would this be fine, or would it be better for him to just save up and buy it all at once?
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #17003
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Advantage to piecing it out: you can sit on items and buy what goes on sale and save some money.

Disadvantage: if you buy something and don't build the machine for several months you won't be able to RMA items if they don't work (most return policies are 30 days).

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #17004
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse-a-Cat
Sounds awesome. I was pretty disappointed when it seemed like they were pulling out of the high end desktop market, and pretty worried what it would mean if Intel were the only one doing chips in that market. If they don't have competition, there's no reason to push for improvements. I was quite impressed with the improvements made with piledriver. Do you think this new update/successor will be steamroller based, or bypass that entirely and go for something new?

Though having said that, with the relatively small advances made with each successive series these days, I think I'll have my 4770k/Maximus VI Formula setup for quite some time. I didn't even need to upgrade from my Lynnfield system, but I wanted a few new parts and figured I should just do a whole new machine while I was at it. (Read: Saw shiny things and wanted them)

Anyway, sounds like there's some interesting stuff coming up. And I know it's been said before, but I love how this thread doesn't degenerate into brand slagging matches like most other tech discussions seem to.

Depends. They might do a new FX line on a hypothetical FM3 when the new Construction core rolls around. AMD is also working on a totally new architecture right now. It's still a year or two away from getting released, but they might be waiting for that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
muffinduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #17005
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Advantage to piecing it out: you can sit on items and buy what goes on sale and save some money.

Disadvantage: if you buy something and don't build the machine for several months you won't be able to RMA items if they don't work (most return policies are 30 days).

Ah yes, I knew there was some reason I didn't feel good about doing it that way.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #17006
DamienEx1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse-a-Cat

I have a feeling it will be something new. It would be intresting to see if they take a "FM3" slot and make it work for both APU's and CPU's. That way they get rid of the whole "you need two different slots for CPU's" BS and just streamline the whole thing. I am probably way over simplifying it but who knows. That why I want to know what the "good news everyone" is from them.

Quote:
And I know it's been said before, but I love how this thread doesn't degenerate into brand slagging matches like most other tech discussions seem to.

You can keep saying it because I love it. I get to be AMD happy and love them to death. At the same time I know what the score is and Intel chips are better if you have the cash.

AMD has superior GPU's over nVidia. I mean honestly when you look at price and quality, there is no competition. The R9 295X kicks the shit out of everything and it is even better then the nVidia Super Titan thing and it is half the price. Oh and AMD gives away free games, which is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
PC police strike again
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM   #17007
pugachev

Any good benchmarks that show off gaming for the Haswell-E chips? I wonder if I should grab the 5820k or wait til next year when(if) Skylake hits.
pugachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #17008
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/...-5820k-tested/6
I would personally wait until Skylake, since the new 2011-3 socket may be a bad investment down the road for upgradability if Skylake doesn't keep it. But if it does then you won't be paying that new/extreme premium label a year from now. Plus DDR4 will be more affordable (hopefully). I just have a rule of thumb for never buying latest gen tech when it comes out.
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough

Last edited by Skullivan : Today at 10:26 AM.
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #17009
pugachev

Yeah, im a bit disappointed in those benchmarks but shouldn't be surprised. No real tangible benefits in gaming it seems. Is Skylake still on schedule for mid.2015? I've read some reports of it possibly being delayed until 2016. That's too long to wait for me
pugachev is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: