Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Dave6-6-6

Sound Explained?

Hi, I'm relatively new to playing guitar and have heard and read a lot about warm, soft and bright tones and highs, mids and lows. Unfortunately, though I realize that these are different sounds and frequencies, I'm not all that sure what they mean or what sound to relate them to. If someone could please explain and describe them to me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dave.
Dave6-6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

warm, dark, soft, muddy(extreme) - More 'round' as I call it, more lows (bass frequencies) and mids.
Bright, Ice-picky(extreme)- More sharp and treble-y. More pronounced highs (treble frequencies).

This is always a question that's tough to answer, so you'll have to mess with the treble and bass knobs on your amp, as well as mids if you have them. start with all of them at half way, then turn just one up at a time to hear the difference. Listen to a Les Paul warm tones, and a Telecaster for brighter tones.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Dave6-6-6

Thanks man I'll give that a try for sure! Does it matter where I have the gain set to when I try it? Also when they they speak about those in terms of the wood the guitar is made from, is that meaning which tone will be produced through the amp better?
Dave6-6-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6-6-6
Thanks man I'll give that a try for sure! Does it matter where I have the gain set to when I try it? Also when they they speak about those in terms of the wood the guitar is made from, is that meaning which tone will be produced through the amp better?

It would be much easier to hear tonal differences on a clean setting. Alder or ash is generally considered a brighter wood, while mahogany is a darker or warmer sounding wood. The wood contributes to how the guitar sounds as do pickups, strings, etc. The guitar should sound similar unplugged to how it does through an amp. Any differences in tone would be the amp.
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
JKHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlips
Any differences in tone would be the amp.

Or the pickups which, arguably, play a more important role than wood in affecting sound.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
JKHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: